none
WHS works - connections don't RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there!

I've installed WHS on a clean new machine with AMD X3 CPU.
    I have given it a network ID on my 192.168.1.x network, and it can connect to the Internet through my BiPac 7404 VGO-M router just fine. The address is set up as a fixed IP under the router's DHCP settings.

I have tried to install the Connector disk on a number of machines on the same network, without success. Looking at the lights of the router, there is obvious activity between the various machines. But the end result always is "Home Server Not found"...

I tried the installation under XP SP3 and Win7.

I have Avira Premium  SE and have opened the relevant port .

I also have opened the port (4125, from memory in the router's firewall settings. No dice...

After three days or so, I'm getting a bit worried: maybe I am too old for this game?!

Where should I start looking for problems?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

LMH a.k.a carioca

"The price of comfort is eternal maintenance" (LMH, ca. 1982)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 8:58 AM

Answers

• After more than a week of stuffing around with router settings, H/W firewall, S/W firewall and the like, I bit the bullet yesterday and reinstalled WHS from scratch.

Bingo! It worked just fine (this time I had removed the fixed IP from the machine and instead fixed it in the router, had not changed the name of the host PC in any way, accepted the defaults etc...) so far so good.

Connector works, too.

Only fly in the ointment is that remote connection still doesn't work - more configuration needed on the Billion BiPac 7404VGO-M (not on the list of supported routers, btw).

Cheers,

LMH a.k.a carioca

Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    which address did you configure as DNS server?
    Please post the output of ipconfig /all, issued in a command prompt on a client and the server.
    For details see also the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hallo Olaf,

Tks 4 that reply - I figure it has someting to do with either firewalls (in the router and Avira PE software) OR the fact that I haven't enabled IP routing (still checking this out...).

The router address is the DNS server, default gateway etc...
    The client ipconfig /all output is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\carioca>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : merval
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter TechTrak:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-22-8D-C7
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Have turned off the server, so will get its output tomorrow (my wife insists we watch Dr Who now ... all on the main computer LOL)

Gruesse aus Australien!

LMH

Sunday, December 6, 2009 8:32 AM
  • After more than a week of stuffing around with router settings, H/W firewall, S/W firewall and the like, I bit the bullet yesterday and reinstalled WHS from scratch.

Bingo! It worked just fine (this time I had removed the fixed IP from the machine and instead fixed it in the router, had not changed the name of the host PC in any way, accepted the defaults etc...) so far so good.

Connector works, too.

Only fly in the ointment is that remote connection still doesn't work - more configuration needed on the Billion BiPac 7404VGO-M (not on the list of supported routers, btw).

Cheers,

LMH a.k.a carioca

Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:53 AM