none
Convert license from MVL to Retail on Windows XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• My aunt recently posed a question to me and I don't want to give her the wrong information.  She recently retired, but is staying on as a consultant for 6 months with the company she worked for.  They gave her the laptop she used in the office to take home as it contains many documents and files she may need in her consulting.  The laptop is hers to keep even after this consulting period is over.  However, after the 6 month consulting time, she will be left with a laptop that has an installation of Windows under the license of the company she no longer works for.  Is there a way to simply change the licensing information in windows if she buys a retail copy of XP Pro?  I saw a simliar post where someone mentioned using the restore fuction, would that be applicable in this situation as well?  Thanks!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hello Hoser795,

First, look in My Computer>r/c>Properties>General tab for the PID number.  If the second set of digits is 270 or a number between 640 and 649 yes it does have a Volume License installed and that needs to be changed.  If the second set of digits are the characters OEM, it still has its OEM license and no action is required.

If the laptop has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for XP Pro affixed to it, then all she has to do is run the Product Key Updater at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668.  It will take the Product Key on the CoA and change the product key and license type for XP Pro from Volume back to OEM without the hassle of offloading all of her docs, email, pix, etc before doing a destructive recovery.

If the laptop has a CoA for any other Windows besides XP Pro, then you won't be able to use the PK Updater so she will have to offload her data then do a destructive recovery to start over with a fresh installation of the licensed Windows listed on the CoA.

If there is no CoA at all, then she will have to purchase a full retail license for the Windows of her choice, or consider using an open source OS.

It's very likely that the computer also has an installation of Office, too.  Make the same PID check for Office 2003 in Help>About or in Office 2007 open Word then click Office Button>Word Options>Resources>About to view the PID.  Both 2003 and 2007 Office use OEM for OEM licenses, and if it does read OEM no further acton is required.  Office 2003 volume licenses use the 640-649, while Office 2007 volume licenses are in the 7xx range.  If there is a Volume License installation of Office, it just has to be uninstalled, then replaced with a retail installation of Office.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:55 PM