none
Need help understanding WHS drive use RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed my first WHS.  I used an 80Gig drive and two 1.5Tb drives.  I configured the 80Gig drive as the boot drive. I set one of the 1.5Tb drives as a data drive and the second 1.5Tb drive as a backup drive. 

On the small 80Gig drive, WHS created a 20Gig partition to boot and 60 Gig second partition as data (seen as the D: drive).  The first of the 1.5Tb drives is joined with the 60Gig partition of the 80Gig drive and make a large data storage area.  When I turned on folder duplication I received a warning that my D: drive is full!  The backup 1.5Tb drive is only 3% full, how come WHS does not copy the files to the backup?

Can someone help me understand what is going on?  My HTPC, desktop PC and laptop are all backed up, why isn't WHS backing the data partition to the bacup drive?  Should I make the second 1.5Tb currently set as backup drive as a data drive?

Should I not use the small 80Gig drive and take it out leaving the 2 large drives as data drives?  If I do, how would I bakup the WHS itself?

Thanks in advance for your help...  rafacq
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:59 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion Ken.

Since I will not be able to purchase another drive for at least another month, I went ahead and converted the backup 1.5Tb to data drive.  This way I will not be getting a drive full error (I assume the error stems from folder duplication, as it is trying to duplicate files and there is too much discrepancy between the small 60Gig partition and the full 1.5Tb drive).

Now there are two big drives where WHS can balance the data (as it does folder duplication), right?

Yes, you will now be able to use Folder Duplication for more than 60 GB of data.  (However, FYI, WHS does not "balance" the data evenly between drives.  That is a term used only to reference the hourly pass WHS makes on all data to make sure the data that should be duplicated is duplicated.)

On to the WHS backup, does is backup everything, I mean the boot partition and the contents of the data storage area?

No.  WHS only backs up whichever shares you select it to backup.  It does not backup OS partition or the backup database.

Again... thanks your help understanding storage and backup.

• Marked as answer by rafacq Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:54 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• The backup drive is used for just that, backing up the server. Backing up the server is a separate function from duplication, however.

My recommendation would be to obtain an additional 1.5 TB drive, install it in your server, and add it to the storage pool.

For more information on Drive Extender (the technology behind the Windows Home Server storage pool) see this technical brief .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:52 PM

Since I will not be able to purchase another drive for at least another month, I went ahead and converted the backup 1.5Tb to data drive.  This way I will not be getting a drive full error (I assume the error stems from folder duplication, as it is trying to duplicate files and there is too much discrepancy between the small 60Gig partition and the full 1.5Tb drive).

Now there are two big drives where WHS can balance the data (as it does folder duplication), right?

On to the WHS backup, does is backup everything, I mean the boot partition and the contents of the data storage area?

Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:05 PM

Yes, you will now be able to use Folder Duplication for more than 60 GB of data.  (However, FYI, WHS does not "balance" the data evenly between drives.  That is a term used only to reference the hourly pass WHS makes on all data to make sure the data that should be duplicated is duplicated.)

No.  WHS only backs up whichever shares you select it to backup.  It does not backup OS partition or the backup database.

• Marked as answer by rafacq Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:54 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:14 PM