MOSS 2007 databases & Project server 2007 databases on Same instance(whats the required Surface Area configuration, if both MOSS 2007 Project Server 2007 on same SQL Instance) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planning to install Project Server 2007. For this we want to use existing SQL server instance which already have MOSSS 2007 databases.

While going through the documentation, I found the Surface area configuration as below for Project server from the link  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197479.aspx

Select Local and Remote Connections, select Using TCP/IP only, and then click OK

But for our existing SQL Server instance for MOSS 2007, has the surface Area configuration as below from the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263187.aspx

Select Local and Remote Connections, select Using both TCP/IP and named pipes, and then click OK

So for MOSS 2007, its using both TCP/IP and named pipes where as for Project Server 2007, it should be TCP/IP only.

My question is: Can we use this existing SQL Server instance which has MOSS 2007 databases, for Project server 2007 databases having Surface Area configuration, both TCP/IP and named pipes?

Does Project Server 2007  MUST require TCP/IP only as  Surface Area configuration?

please clarify me

thanks
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:08 PM

Answers

• Yes you can.  It is normal to have both MOSS and Project Server databases in the same instance.  I am not sure why the discrepancy between the surface area settings.

This forum is really for 2010 questions  there are other newsgroups for 2007 questions.

Best regards,

Brian.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• Could you please clarify me the Surface area configuration considering both MOSS 2007 & Project Server 2007. Our Project server 2007 installation has delayed because of this. 

I need to clarify this settings  before stating the installation

your help will be appreciated.

thanks
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Yes you can.  It is normal to have both MOSS and Project Server databases in the same instance.  I am not sure why the discrepancy between the surface area settings.

This forum is really for 2010 questions  there are other newsgroups for 2007 questions.

Best regards,

Brian.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Hi Brain,

->This forum is really for 2010 questions  there are other newsgroups for 2007 questions.

I appreciate if you point me to the correct msdn forums for Project server 2007 questions.

Thank you

Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hello Samnalla,

There are not any MSDN forums, however there are newsgroups for Project Server 2007.  See:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.project.server&lang=en&cr=US

If you are using a newsreader, the newsgroup can also be accessed through msnews.microsoft.com and the newsgroup name is microsoft.public.project.server.

I hope this helps.

Julie
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:15 PM