Is there any "easy" way to tell where all the time goes in Orchestrator.Synchronize? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a sync that is currently linking the standard file provider to an azure provider that I've written myself.  I put a timer around the detecting changes, a preview run where nothing actually  happens, and a run where things actually do happen.  There is actually no work that should be done, but it is taking 24 seconds on the run.  Since I don't controll where Orchestrator.Synchronize spends its time, is there a way I can tell? (below are the milliseconds in each phase.  I have only 2 files in the sync and for this particular pass, it had nothing to do.

FileDetectChanges: 73 AzureDetectChanges: 71 Preview: 1571 Run: 24061

Peter Kellner http://peterkellner.net Microsoft MVP • ASPInsider
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:57 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately there is no specific diagnostics tool. The best way is to hook into all the events and measure the time. The other way is tracing. But the former is a better way.

Glad to hear you are past the problem, though what did you learn on where the time was spent?

Which Summit are mentioning above? I dont have anything on my calendar :)

Of course, I know you are in the deeper woods now :)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• Peter, how large are the files?

And just want to confirm that there are two files in the sync relationship and for this particular sync, there is no data that needs syncing.

And can you hook into the other events like ChangesApplied at both sides. This will further help in determining the network latency.

Also can you try to use the filesyncprovider itself instead of the Azure one to see how that compares?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,

I'm actually long past the specific problem.  I more wondering if there are any diagnostic way to see what is happening in the orchestrator besides putting break points and timers at the beginning of every method of the knowledge provider, totally all the time and trying to figure out what time escaped.

Will you be stopping by summit next week?  I'd love to grill you with conflict questions I have.  Don't forget, I'm in the knowledge provider at the metadata level because of your storng recommendation :). 

See you

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Unfortunately there is no specific diagnostics tool. The best way is to hook into all the events and measure the time. The other way is tracing. But the former is a better way.

Glad to hear you are past the problem, though what did you learn on where the time was spent?

Which Summit are mentioning above? I dont have anything on my calendar :)

Of course, I know you are in the deeper woods now :)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:26 AM
  • MVP summit is all next week!  We are converging on redmond, many thousands of us.  I arrive thursday night for a patterns and practice meeting friday, then geekgive saturday, then all next week is summit days.  Kind of like Techdays I think. 

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Wow, its been a year already, I remember the last years one :) I will see if I can come and meet you.

Feel free to come to our building and we can meet too. I will send a mail around to others.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Hi Mahesh, I'm Here!  My best day to visit would be friday.  My events are all day through thursday, then I don't fly out until Friday night so I'm open all day.  Lunch?  Talk to Nina and see if we can coordinate something.

Hope to see you soon!    Off to the MS store now to buy my kinnect. :)

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:28 PM