WHS will not recognize all hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• This is a pretty long story so ill try to compress it the best I can.

So when I would install windows home server I would get to the F6 prompt and load my AHCI drivers, after I would load them I would get a BSOD STOP 0x07B

Then I called tech support and he said there is nothing he can do buy if I put the OS on an IDE drive I can still get AHCI mode to work

So I installed WHS on a 100GB IDE drive in AHCI mode and I got a weird error, so I restarted and put it in SATA mode (IDE emulation) the install proceeded

After the install was done I switched to AHCI mode and it worked (No bluescreens or errors) but it will not recognize my 3rd hard drive, it will recognize my 2nd hard drive as 72GB and its really 1TB and will also not recognize my optical drive.

I really don know what can be causing this problem , the only thing that is weird is that the IDE master is listed as a slave drive, I dont know how to change it to a master (reset jumpers?).

My specs are:

XFX 8200 motherboard (Based off an nvidia chipset)
    AMD Athlon 5000+
    3GB of RAM
    1x 100GB seagate IDE hard drive
    2x 1TB Western Digital SATA hard drives

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate your help.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:01 AM

All replies

• This is a pretty long story so ill try to compress it the best I can.

So when I would install windows home server I would get to the F6 prompt and load my AHCI drivers, after I would load them I would get a BSOD STOP 0x07B

Then I called tech support and he said there is nothing he can do buy if I put the OS on an IDE drive I can still get AHCI mode to work

So I installed WHS on a 100GB IDE drive in AHCI mode and I got a weird error, so I restarted and put it in SATA mode (IDE emulation) the install proceeded

After the install was done I switched to AHCI mode and it worked (No bluescreens or errors) but it will not recognize my 3rd hard drive, it will recognize my 2nd hard drive as 72GB and its really 1TB and will also not recognize my optical drive.

I really don know what can be causing this problem , the only thing that is weird is that the IDE master is listed as a slave drive, I dont know how to change it to a master (reset jumpers?).

My specs are:

XFX 8200 motherboard (Based off an nvidia chipset)
    AMD Athlon 5000+
    3GB of RAM
    1x 100GB seagate IDE hard drive
    2x 1TB Western Digital SATA hard drives

Thanks for reading, I really appreciate your help.

There is no such thing as AHCI for a PATA (a.k.a. IDE) drive/controller.  It's only on SATA drives/controllers.  If you have no data on your server, my suggestion is to connect only your 100 GB PATA drive (disconnect the rest) to your mobo and start over with a New Installation.  If you have data on your server, you could try a Server Reinstallation (although I wouldn't do that in this situation).  My suggestion is you should make sure you have copies of your data somewhere else or, if you don't, recover data from the drives by following the FAQ post: How to recover data after server failure (even though it's not your situation, the steps are the same), then do a New Installation.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:16 AM