WHS 2011 Backup fails Reason: 7 on new drive RRS feed

• Question

• I added a new 1.5TB drive and installed Windows 8 Pro.

I now have 3 drives, a 2TB WD drive with Windows 7, a 1.5TB Seagate with Windows 8, and a data drive.

All backups were working from Windows 7 until I installed the new Seagate 1.5TB drive and Windows 8.

I tried backing up the client computer (using WHS 2011) from Windows 7 and successfully backup up the 2TB Windows 7 drive and the Data drive, but got an Error Reason: 7 while backing up the 1.5TB Windows 8 drive.

After WHS Update Rollup 4 I in installed the connector software on Windows 8 and tried the backup from Windows 8.  I got the same Backup failure error with Reason: 7 when attempting to backup the Windows 8 1.5TB drive.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi, Please check if this is the same situation as yours: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/4e50c6ef-f0a0-4daf-b964-052306b5b471

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Check to make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is running (VSS), and check the Windows 8 event logs to see if there are any errors related to this service or to other problems with your disk.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:23 PM

All replies

• Is your W8 formatted with EFI/GPT (check in disk management) - if so WHS2011 will not back it up until Microsoft fix the problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:58 PM
  • W8 is formatted as Simple Basic NTFS
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:46 AM
  • In Disk Management, right click on the box on the left (e.g. Disk 0, xxxx GB, Online") - does it give you the option to "Convert to GPT" or "Convert to MBR" (they may be greyed out)?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:23 AM
  • "Convert to GPT" is greyed out.  There is "Convert to Dynamic Disk" available and no "Convert to MBR".
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:56 PM
  • In that case it's an MBR disk so EFI/GPT is not your problem. Try running "chkdsk /r" on your W8 disk and see if that finds any errors.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi, Please check if this is the same situation as yours: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/4e50c6ef-f0a0-4daf-b964-052306b5b471

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Check to make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is running (VSS), and check the Windows 8 event logs to see if there are any errors related to this service or to other problems with your disk.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:23 PM