none
Any good COSMOS C# OS tutorials?

Question

• Hi.  My name is Cyber.  I'm a student who grew up in a school who never offered anything computer-related.  I grew up teaching myself programming through youtube, MSDN, etc.  I was always interested in programming my own OS, and the COSMOS C# thing seemed pretty promising.

I'm not like those little kids who are all like "ER MA GURD I WANA HAVE WINDOWS ADVANCED GUI STUFFZ IN ONE DAYY"

I'd simply like to start with a Command-line OS with some basic programs, maybe a calculator, you get the idea.  Hopefully move into basic file systems and such.

I tried to learn assembly in the past but I don't have access to a 32-bit computer to learn on.

I was very excited when I found out about the COSMOS project, but every time I look for tutorials it seems they are always notepad slow typers with part 1 only, part 2 if im lucky.

So, does anyone know of some extensive tutorials for this kind of thing?  I'm kinda new to C#, only been into it for a few weeks, but coming from java and several other past programming languages I picked it up pretty quick.

Im sure that this COSMOS thing isn't too hard, but I haven't really settled into a tutorial series that had more than two episodes, so I didn't take the time to watch them because it had nowhere to go.

Please, let me know if there are any good tutorials for COSMOS or OS development in general below, any help is appreciated.

PS: This is probably the wrong place to put this.  I thought "Small basic" referred to unofficial help for small stuff, not the basic programming language thing itself :p  Thats a case of me up at 1 not reading things.
    • Edited by Cyber_ Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:19 AM
    • Moved by litdev Sunday, August 30, 2015 7:51 AM
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Since the Cosmos OS Project is not a Microsoft project, you's need to hang out on GitHub and either ask their or on the project's various pages (Facebook, Yahoo groups, etcetera)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 03, 2015 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You've asked this question in the forum for the Small Basic programming language. Your question would likely receive better answers in a forum dedicated to C# (or a more general .NET-related forum).

Most resources for operating system development will be using assembly and C (or C++) rather than C#. As a sidenote, you can run x86 assembly intended for a 32-bit processor on an x86-64 (64-bit) processor (you could even run 16-bit programs on a 64-bit processor).

Saturday, August 29, 2015 11:48 AM
  • Hello,

Since the Cosmos OS Project is not a Microsoft project, you's need to hang out on GitHub and either ask their or on the project's various pages (Facebook, Yahoo groups, etcetera)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, September 03, 2015 10:24 PM