Business Units RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, will appreciate any help I can get here.

So I guess I am a bit confused.

We are adding on a "sister" (more like a distant cousin) company to start using CRM.  I figured, "Let me add a new business unit for them.  That way we can keep all their tech support cases, contacts, leads, accounts, etc.. all separate."  

Within our setup, we are the only BU.  Under us, I have now created this new business unit for the sister company.  After adding a new test user to the sister BU, I logged in and noticed I was able to see all the old cases, contacts, accounts, and other entities. 

My question is; am I confused?  Is that not what the functionality of a business unit is?  Or do I just have something set up wrong?

Again, any help is very appreciated :)

Thanks,

Brian
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian,

You need to ensure that the user you are using to log into CRM has rights to view records at the Business Unit level only.  Chances are that you are logging in with System Admin rights which can view records at the organization level. 

If you have a CRM Admin user in your system, you can log in with that role, create a user record with your credentials from Active Directory and assign that user a security role that has limited rights to the BU only and not Parent or Organization rights.  Log out and log back in with that user account and you should not be able to see records at the Parent or Organization level.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Parks Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

You need to ensure that the user you are using to log into CRM has rights to view records at the Business Unit level only.  Chances are that you are logging in with System Admin rights which can view records at the organization level. 

If you have a CRM Admin user in your system, you can log in with that role, create a user record with your credentials from Active Directory and assign that user a security role that has limited rights to the BU only and not Parent or Organization rights.  Log out and log back in with that user account and you should not be able to see records at the Parent or Organization level.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Parks Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:11 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:35 PM
  •  Of Course!  Thank you so much.

I really should have thought about that :)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:48 PM
  • You're welcome
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:11 PM