How do I get MircoSoft Streets and Trips to use MicroSoft Windows Location (gps in a Lenovo Tablet) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Lenovo Tablet 2 running Windows 8 Pro. I have Streets and Trips 2013 loaded but it does not find the gps (Windows location). How can I make this work. Isn't Microsoft Software compatible with Microsoft Software

Thanks for any help.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• No - Microsoft Software is not compatible with Microsoft Software.

See: http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/microsoft-does-it-again/

The left hand of Microsoft has not the faintest idea what the right hand is doing.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Microsoft? Specifically, the S+T team? What the F?

C'mon...there has got to be some awareness of the want...

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Ok, I just got my Lenovo Tablet 2 and have all the latest drivers. Anyway, I initially saw that S+T 'saw' a GPS on com 5 but it did not seem to work.

I then was digging around and see in Device Manager that there is a com port 5 labeled 'Sierra Wireless MC7700 - Gobi(TM) 4000 HS-USB NMEA (COM 5)...

So, I just took a drive (before I was standing in the entryway - and it is cloudy) and after a couple of minutes, it found satellites and works with S+T 2013.

So, for the Tablet 2 with latest drivers, there is a NMEA compatible port. Click 'configure GPS' in S+T and pick your port.

It seems a little slow but I have not used the GPS much in other programs so I have little to compare it to but it is accurate enough.

-ck

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Then you're lucky.

Here in Europe, the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is supplied with Ericsson hardware for the WWAN - and that does not expose an NMEA stream via a virtual COM port. In fact, by default, no COM ports are available.

The GPS info is presented by a Broadcomm GNSS sensor, and this exposes the NMEA stream via an entry under the Sensors section in Device Manager. 

S+T (or in Europe, AutoRoute 2013, as it is known) doesn't know about these Sensors, and only looks for virtual COM ports...
    • Edited by Geoffc1 Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:08 PM
  • I agree that I am lucky, on this one anyway.

Regardless, the better answer would be for S+T to support the 'sensors'...

-ck

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Yes, in the US, the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is fitted with the Sierra Wireless EM7700 hardware for the Broadband capability, while in Europe (and possibly elsewhere) Lenovo uses the Ericsson c5621gw hardware for Broadband. See http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS033224
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:58 AM
  • I'm using a Lenovo Yoga with MS 2013 Streets and Trips, and a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS (bt-368), I had to download GPS Gateway and it works fine, however I am having trouble having it automatically connect when I start SnT

Ken

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:10 AM