At Risk RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Automatic Updates set to Off on purpose because I'm tired of coming back to the computer to find days of work destroyed because Windows decided it needed to reboot and lost all my work in the process. I also have not backed up files as recommended because they've already been backed up manually and I don't wish to do so again in another manner for no reason other than that a program tells me to. Unfortunately both conditions mean I am 'At Risk' and will receive extremely annoying messages to that effect despite the fact things are just the way I want them. It'd be a shame to have to purchase another product simply to rid myself of messages especially when otherwise I'm quite happy with the product. Is there a way to disable the nag messages for these two 'conditions'? Thank you.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi gphx

You can open Control Panel\Windows Update\Change settings and set the day and time so the updates come at a time when you are not working. The Backup can be tuned off open OneCare\Change Setting\Backup\Configure Backup and turn off the backups.

chuck 

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi gphx

You can open Control Panel\Windows Update\Change settings and set the day and time so the updates come at a time when you are not working. The Backup can be tuned off open OneCare\Change Setting\Backup\Configure Backup and turn off the backups.

chuck 

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Thanks, I got the backups turned off at least. There is no time I want auto updates to run. I've been using pcs for over 20 years and do my updates religiously but manually. I'm not sure why they're forced on us and not being able to turn them off completely is very annoying. I wish they'd stop dumbing things down. Thanks for your help with half of the problem and I know you probably didn't write the software.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Hi gphx

Glad I was able to help with half of it and no I did not write the software but wish I had $$$ 

chuck

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:05 PM