Remove a PC from WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• How can I remove a PC from the WHS backup console? I have a  PC that totally died and not on the metwork anymore. WHS keeps complaining that it hasn't been backed up, however I can find a way to delete that PC out of the console.

Thanks

Thursday, March 22, 2007 7:58 PM

Answers

• This is from Doug Knox's web site:

Use Remote Desktop to access the Server machine.  Once logged in, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT.  Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients

Each of the sub-keys corresponds to the computers that are joined to that server.  Each sub-key contains the relavent information, such as the computer name.  Simply right click and delete the sub-key that corresponds to the computer in question.  You may also want to right click and select Export first, just in case you need to add it back in. Then delete the sub-key.  Reboot the server and that computer will be gone from the list.

You can also download a program he wrote from his web site as well:

http://www.dougknox.com/whs/whsremoveclient.htm

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:11 PM
  • This is resolved in later builds.  Always be careful when doing registry edits!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 12:30 AM

All replies

• This is from Doug Knox's web site:

Use Remote Desktop to access the Server machine.  Once logged in, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT.  Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients

Each of the sub-keys corresponds to the computers that are joined to that server.  Each sub-key contains the relavent information, such as the computer name.  Simply right click and delete the sub-key that corresponds to the computer in question.  You may also want to right click and select Export first, just in case you need to add it back in. Then delete the sub-key.  Reboot the server and that computer will be gone from the list.

You can also download a program he wrote from his web site as well:

http://www.dougknox.com/whs/whsremoveclient.htm

Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:11 PM
  • This is resolved in later builds.  Always be careful when doing registry edits!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 1:30 PM
  • The script worked for me but I still have the yellow Icon warning of a backup needed for the no longer on network machine.  I have rebooted and turned off everthing and the icon is still yellow.  Checked the regestry(sp) and the computer is not there.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:56 PM
  • I got around this by doing the following (WARNING!  It is quite possible that this could seriously break something in WHS!  So far it has worked for me, but it has only been a day.  PROCEED WITH CAUTION)

1. Run the utility to remove old client machines, or manually remove them from registry (details earlier in this thread)
    2. Connect to your WHS using remote desktop, NOT through the console
    3. On my install, there are two partitions, labelled C: and D:.  In D:\folders there are two directories with long cryptic names.  One of them has backup data.  It is is obvious to recognize which it is.
    4. I removed EVERYTHING in this folder except for two files that had the same names as the client entries in the registry location found earlier in this thread.  There will be a matching one for each computer, plus entries for machines that no longer exist.  I removed the extraneous ones, and kept the ones matching my client machines.  I removed all other .DAT files in the directory. (NOTE!  It is a pretty good idea to simply MOVE the fiels out to another directory, and not delete them in case you need to undo this change at a later date)
    5. Restart WHS.
    6. Essentially, by doing this you are removing ALL backup history.  The WHS console should report no backup history for each of your client machines, and if you removed old clients, there should be no clients listed that do not exist.
    7. You'll want to do a new backup of all your client machines right away.

Now WHS and my tray icon report a healthy network.

I hope this helps!

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:52 PM