Different versions RRS feed

• Question

• Need some help.
    My WHS started to have problems and is not doing any backup since 2 weeks ago. Some times connection fails also. I checked with toolkit and is telling me that I have different versions of WHS and the Connector software. I have not been able to solve it. Any idea ??
    Thanks in advance
    Jordi
    Friday, December 26, 2008 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jordi,
    is there anything reported behind the network status icon or nothing besides the statement, that the machine has not been backed up since xx days? Has a backup been tried or not? (Double click the client in the console.)
    Did you reboot the server since finding out about the situation?
    What happens, if you try to start a backup manually?
    Would a backup start, if you run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on a client?

Besided that I see some unreliability on my main machine too - backups happen only very sporadically, and the system taking a long time after waking up from hibernate to detect that the server is there (connector icon stays grey).

If there are no messages in the network status and the event log, that a backup has been failed by any reason, you could try to uninstall the November update for WHS and see, if this improves the situation. To do this you must logon locally to the server, open Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and toggle Show Updates. Search for KB957825 and uninstall it. After reboot the clients should also downgrade the connector software (automatically, if you configured so).

The Troubleshooter warning about different versions of connector and WHS is a bug since the November update, since not all parts of WHS have been patched.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 26, 2008 12:40 PM
  •  Hi Olaf, thanks very much for taking the time to help me,

is there anything reported behind the network status icon or nothing besides the statement, that the machine has not been backed up since xx days? YES

Has a backup been tried or not? (Double click the client in the console.) YES

Did you reboot the server since finding out about the situation? YES

What happens, if you try to start a backup manually? Starts and don't progress from 1 or 2% ( I saw once a message telling me that the system was unable to detect files that have changed )

Would a backup start, if you run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on a client?  NO, appears a message saying that maybe the backup service is nor running.

Besided that I see some unreliability on my main machine too - backups happen only very sporadically, and the system taking a long time after waking up from hibernate to detect that the server is there (connector icon stays grey).

If there are no messages in the network status and the event log, that a backup has been failed by any reason, you could try to uninstall the November update for WHS and see, if this improves the situation. To do this you must logon locally to the server, open Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and toggle Show Updates. Search for KB957825 and uninstall it. After reboot the clients should also downgrade the connector software (automatically, if you configured so). I did it and apparently now is working ( is at 15% when I'm sending that email ) I also turn off automatic updates .... How do I have to proceed in the future , should I try to install the update again ??

Thanks a lot and have a good 2009 ¡¡¡¡
    Friday, December 26, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Hi Jordi,
    How do I have to proceed in the future , should I try to install the update again ??

that is a good question, on my WHS I also uninstalled the update one time and installed it again.
    Some WHS services have not been started after the subsequent reboot, so I started those manually and rebooted the server again. This time the services started and the stability was almost back.
    I have now seen too many reports mentioning issues with that update and experienced them myself, this is definitively something, which should so not happen. 
    After backup has been (hopefully) completed, you can try a restore from a backup (open a backup via console and try to copy some files from it to ensure, all is working as it should). If this succeeds, you can try reinstalling KB957825 from Windows Update and see, if it still works.

If not, please register on Connect, as outlined in the sticky post on top of this forum and issue a bug report to help Microsoft figuring out the reasons, before rolling back another time.

Sorry for the headache
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:06 AM