Red light on computer is blinking all the time. RRS feed

• Question

• I have constant disk active,and I don't know why.How can I fix this problem. The red light on the computer is blinking all the time.
    • Moved by Just Karl Monday, June 23, 2014 10:18 PM Off topic
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• What's the platform? XP? Vista?  In case of Vista+, we can see the disk activity per process with the resource monitor. (perfmon /res).

Thanks.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:00 PM
  • If you are running Windows Vista and above, then use the Resource Monitor tool which you can execute from a button found in Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

Otherwise, I like to use Process Monitor which is a Windows SysInternals Tool. You can run it live from:
    http://live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:41 AM
  • FWIW... In addition to the other responses, I've encountered this behavior associated with merely having an optical drive present in the system.  Removing power to the optical drive caused the blinking to stop (yes, any disc had already been removed from the drive...).
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Hello,

The Windows Desktop Perfmon and Diagnostic tools forum is to discuss performance monitor (perfmon), resource monitor (resmon), and task manager, focusing on HOW-TO, Errors/Problems, and usage scenarios.

Since your post is off-topic, I am moving it to the off topic forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, June 23, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Hello,

This should have been asked in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:17 PM
    Monday, June 23, 2014 10:16 PM