missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Question

• Could someone please help me?  I started a system recovery on my XP home edition because I had a virus that was disabling everything.  Half way through the recovery it stopped because of missing files, so i ended the recovery program, with the intention of going back on windows to sort it out.  however, it wouldn't start up and it keeps displaying the message; missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. and re-install it.  how do i re-install it i haven't got a disc to my knowledge?  i have tried every windows options when i press f8 but no success.  has anyone got any ideas, i would be most grateful for any help.

thank you and merry christmas

craig

Monday, December 25, 2006 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

I too have just had a major snafu with the windows root>\system32\hal.dll file !!!

Since December 24th, 2006 I've tried to find out where to obtain this file at Microsoft, but so far ... nothing.  I have quite a few photographs that I hope to get off my Toshiba, and I'm hoping to resurrect my laptop computer by replacing the corrupt windows root>\system32\\hal.dll file.  HOW DO WE DO THIS?  My only options seem to be entering (F2) SETUP, or (F12) for the boot device selection menu.

My 2-year-old computer was fine, then suddenly it was very slow; upon restarting, all of my adminstrative settings were gone, and the My Documents file had only generic folders in it.  I was then able to locate all my files and transfer some--but now I can't even get past a black screen that says:

"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0.  WARNING Immediately backup your data and replace your disk drive.  A failure may be imminent.  Press F1 to Continue"

Does anyone know how to safely replace the windows root>\system32\hal.dll file ... for a computer that will only go to the SETUP or boot device selection menus?

Thanks in advance for your help,  Andrew

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:33 AM
  • try this. follow the directions on this link. I found this chat first then found the repair. good luck

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 2:36 PM
  • I am having a similar problem. I am trying to fix my father's computer, and we are getting this same error message. I have tried f8 and f10 neither work. I can get about 80% through the system recovery and then I get a blue screen and end up with the error message. He has XP Home installed but unfortunately we can't find the setup disks so we can't even try to work from the boot disk. We have and old install cd of 95 but we can't get that to work either. I read through the information on that link but I'm not a system administrator and can't even get in via safe mode to where I could go in and change that boot file that link was talking about. Do you have any other ideas? My dad uses this computer to work from home, so I really need to try to fix this as quickly as possible...please help if you can!
    Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:32 PM
  • hey there.  Im sorry i wish i knew what to advise but im not totally sure.  i tried f1 also but that changes nothing and even if i try safe mode it doesn't work because windows will not start.  i was thinking about buying a new home edition disc but my university work files are going to be wiped, which i do not want.  im sorry im no help.
    Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:20 AM
  • hey, thanks for getting back to my message.  im started to feel defeated in this and thought about buying a new home edition disc, but i need my university files.  im still trying to research whether there is a simple solution to this because surely there is a disc which can just replace the missing or corrupt file.  if i get any luck finding a solution i will contact you immediately.
    Thursday, December 28, 2006 9:24 AM
  •  

The irony is killing...  I've lost the reply I just wrote (poof!) ...  Craig and Tiger K, I'm going to seek professional help, and I'll post here what I find out.  (It may be after January 1st before I can get this done...)  randallbakken, thanks for helping us (I too cannot find my Windows XP CD..!)  Andrew     Comedic brilliance aside, those MAC vs PC ads are making more and more sense to me!

Friday, December 29, 2006 6:57 AM
  • Thanks guys, I'll keep checking back to see if anyone finds a resolution. My dad attempted to call HP for help, he talked to someone from India for over an hour, they charged him $45 transferred him to a technician and then ended up saying they couldn't fix it unless he had the restore disk (duh, if we had the disk we would have already tried that.) Needless to say he ended up getting his money back, but his computer is still messed up. Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.
    Friday, December 29, 2006 6:05 PM
  • put youre system installation CD on the CD-drive, then restart youre pc then press F2 go to booting sequence and make the CD-ROM youre primary. thats it and follow the steps, repair or install a fresh system. after youre done go back to the booting sequence and put it back to its default.
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, but if you don't have your system installation CD...you can't boot from one. (My dad's computer is several years old and we have no idea where the CDs gone to). Any other ideas? (I do have an XP cd that's installed on my own computer...could I use that to get my Dad's computer back up and running??

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:01 PM
  • If youre dad'd computer is running on the same XP system software you can try fixing it by using the repair option if not theres nothing you can do about it, Only a software can fix a software problems.  If you really want to get it up and running again and you dont need all the data on that old pcu just install a fresh copy of your XP. Theres no web link or patches that can resolve it, I know I tried and what works for me is the one that Im sharing with you. Thats all I can say!
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:11 PM
  • That might work...we weren't too worried about trying to save any of the data since he managed to send all his work files to another computer. I guess I'll try to mail him my XP CD and see if the computer will allow us to replace his old version with mine. Its worth a shot. Thanks to everyone who's been posting tips and suggestions. I'll let you know if this works for us.
    Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Hey everyone,

I took my Toshiba to a repair shop, and discovered my hard drive was totally dead: I've lost all my data, photographs, etc.  In my case, the missing or corrupt file was due to the hard drive's 'crash'. ( I think I have most of my photographs, etc. backed up on an external drive.)

Check your computers' hard drives to make sure they are ok... and good luck to you all.  Happy New Year, Andrew

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:59 AM
  • i dont know if you have solved the problem yet.. i myself am working on the hal.dll problem... however i beleive i can give you some good news.. as far as getting you photos and files... i am running with two drives.. 20GB  and a 120GB.  both have windows installed but i only use the 120 to boot if necessary.  its usually just for storage.. and i use the 20 just to run windows. i started getting the hal.dll message one day out of the blue, and it took me a little while to figure out a way around it.. but aparently it only effected  the 120.  with both drives attached, i currently have to hit F11 and go into the boot menu, choose to boot from the hard disk and select the 20. when i do this windows boots fine and i have complete access to the files on the 120.  you might want to go to the nearest computer place... preferably a small business (they are more likely to give you a good deal)  i went in mine the other day and asked for a low capacity hard drive to run windows (for when my extremely old 20GB finially dies) and he gave me a 30GB for $20... you can load windows on it and you should be able to access your files to back them up on cd or something. i hope this helps.
    Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Sometimes we look for the difficult when the solution is right in front of you.

I got the error message after flashing my AMD64 BIOS.  Tried rebooting, then a repair, and the problem wouldn't go away.  But, if I set the boot sequence up for CDROM first, then HDD, and let the bootup go WITHOUT hitting any key to boot from the CD, Windows would start. 

Tried the randall's solution.  No luck.  Tried copying Hal.dll to system32 still no luck.

Then by accident, I hit F8 during the initial boot.  I selected my master 1 and got through.

Went into setup and found that my HDD boot sequence had my slave as the first boot device.  End of probelm.

So, here is what was going on.  I had upgraded to a larger hard drive, and kept the original as a slave.  (Just to have access to files that I might have forgotten about.  While I had erased the files on D, I didn't remove the system files. So, when I tried to boot, it was the system on D drive that would try to boot but all the necessary files needed to boot that disk had been removed.

But, randall's solution link is a good one to know.  It helped me solve a similiar probelm on another computer where I had two operation systems to choose from, but only one installed.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I have found a few things that may be of interest to you all on this mission to get your PC back and maybe some of you are wondering how this error has happened in the first place.

First off, the error for the missing hal.dll file is usually when you are installing updates and they get interrupted. This is the way that my system was affected. I was shutting down with updates and then the power went as we had a powercut in our area.

Luckily, I had partitioned my computer and so will not lose any files when I re-install windows. The bad thing is I have no re-boot disc as I never got them from Dell when buying my PC. I have rand them up and they assure me that all my files will be lost but I am hoping they will not.

As for you guys, the only thing I can suggest to you all is maybe going to a neighbour and asking for some XP discs to borrow. This will help you greatly, but you will lose all files on the partition that you are using to re-install windows. I am not quite sure why this is the case, and do agree with Craig about the reason of being able to just put in the hal.dll file on its own. The error message sugests this, but I still have no idea how to do this without over-writing all other data at the same time.

I found on a few sites to look in an i368 (or something like that) folder for the exact file and copy and replace the missing/corrupt file with that one. I did this and I am still getting the same message. But still, when I look on the net I find stuff that relates to the main Boot.ini file that loads your PC. As I have partitioned my HDD I do not know where this file could be wrong, but I may indeed look into that some more in the future.

As it stands at the moment, I have spoken to Dell and they are sending out some Discs to me to hopefully get my PC fixed. I am not conveinced (spelling) that this will work but I do hope it does.

If I find anything more on the matter I will indeed be letting you all know. I would like to, in the mean time, wish you all the best of luck and do not do anything silly that may lead to data-loss :D

Sunday, January 21, 2007 2:57 PM
  • To assist all who have misplaced their windows cd. I came across a chat dealing with this issue and apparent solution, included in the chat was a site for the free download of the hal file. http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal that site may have an answer to this group. There is an easy solution ? to problem at http://www.informationweek.com/LP/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=1XLYYA4UTB4NCQSNDLRCKHOCJUNN2JVN?articleID=185301251&pgno=2&queryText=lllll.... Well worth bookmarking for future ref. The downside >you need your xp cd whether it be home or pro. good luck
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:05 AM
  • The pc is stuck on the one single screen.This is my laptop.I don't understand how to fix the #%$#& pc.
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 1:18 PM
  •  eddie 4 wrote:
    To assist all who have misplaced their windows cd. I came across a chat dealing with this issue and apparent solution, included in the chat was a site for the free download of the hal file. http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal that site may have an answer to this group. There is an easy solution ? to problem at http://www.informationweek.com/LP/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=1XLYYA4UTB4NCQSNDLRCKHOCJUNN2JVN?articleID=185301251&pgno=2&queryText=lllll.... Well worth bookmarking for future ref. The downside >you need your xp cd whether it be home or pro. good luck
    Friday, February 09, 2007 6:23 AM
  •  Arizona_Artist wrote:

Hi Craig,

I too have just had a major snafu with the windows root>\system32\hal.dll file !!!

Since December 24th, 2006 I've tried to find out where to obtain this file at Microsoft, but so far ... nothing.  I have quite a few photographs that I hope to get off my Toshiba, and I'm hoping to resurrect my laptop computer by replacing the corrupt windows root>\system32\\hal.dll file.  HOW DO WE DO THIS?  My only options seem to be entering (F2) SETUP, or (F12) for the boot device selection menu.

My 2-year-old computer was fine, then suddenly it was very slow; upon restarting, all of my adminstrative settings were gone, and the My Documents file had only generic folders in it.  I was then able to locate all my files and transfer some--but now I can't even get past a black screen that says:

"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0.  WARNING Immediately backup your data and replace your disk drive.  A failure may be imminent.  Press F1 to Continue"

Does anyone know how to safely replace the windows root>\system32\hal.dll file ... for a computer that will only go to the SETUP or boot device selection menus?

Thanks in advance for your help,  Andrew

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:25 AM
  • When I reboot from the Windows disk I can get to the menu that says 1,2 or 3, but when I hit the option "R" nothing at all happens. When I hit any key nothing happens. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Saturday, March 03, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:00 PM
  • My best advice would be to slave that hard drive to a amster with an operating system on it, then you can get those files off. If there even still there i think that hard drive crapped out on you sence it was smart that warned you about it.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:48 AM
  • I just wanted to know if any of the methods in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 works on  hal.dll error?    (source from: randallbakken)
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  

So, I've just got to know ... did you solve the problem?

If not, --- yes, your XP CD might help solve the problem.

Also - many "newer" HP, Dell, and other computers no longer come with restore CDs --- a partition on the hard drive is used for the restore files.

And - consider buying a 'universal' USB hard drive case.  You can easily connect almost any hard drive to your existing computer, on the fly, and it becomes a removable storage device!   Then, at least, you can get the files off the drive.  Mine cost about $40 and is one of the best investments made.

Please post your results in this quest! 

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  

I'm going to try  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 and will post my results.  The article makes some sense -- in my case I used restore CDs and had changed the drive config in BIOS.  So if the original boot.ini doesn't match what I changed in BIOS ... well that might be the problem.  I hope that will be the fix. 

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:42 AM
  • This happened to me about one month ago.  Around a week later I did another system recovery.  There was a button to push on the left of Yes or No.  I think it was advanced.  By clicking on this I was able to restore the computer to the way it was when I purchased it.   If it does not show up stop and start again.   There is a correction CD for corrupt dll files but I do not have it.  Let me know.  Susie
    Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Changing the boot.ini as noted in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 didn't work.  Changing the boot order in BIOS didn't work.   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 wasn't the answer.
    I did determine that the HD was failing -- originally I could see it as a USB mass storage device, then it wasn't recognized all the time and now if it is displayed I can't access it.  Trust me, that drive is bad.

So I tried the same re-install CD's on a different HD and DID NOT get the ... hal.dll ... error.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:58 AM
  • i missed my c:/widows/system32/fservice.exe
    Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:05 AM
  • F8 is the only f# keys that acualy did anything when i was trying to get my computer to boot prperly. Thanks i tryed so many different things from this page and many others but this is the only one that acually worked.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 2:47 PM
  • I have spent a week trying to fix my computer. I finslly tried to start it in dos and it said I needed to re download the missing  windows root. I have no clue how to do this....thank youso much
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:25 AM
  • please i want Windows root - system32 - hal.dll.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Hello-
         My name is Lauren (pretty obvious) and I have a similar problem with the <Widows root>\system32\hal.dll. file like many other people seem to have...but mine's a bit more complicated. My dad and I are still running off of the Widows 98 opperating system. We just recently decided that we should upgrade our old computer and gotten a hold of a Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002. The problem is when trying to introduce the new software into our computer, we got the message above and aren't able to properly finish the download of Windows XP Home Edition. I tried to do some of the things that were suggested in the link that you had posted on this forum (using the RUN program in my START menu), along with several other things (like uninstalling and then attempting to reinstall. I've also tried restarting my computer in the middle of the process and taking the disc out and reinserting it into the computer), but they don't seem to work since I'm running off of a Windows 98 operating system at first instead of a Windows XP Home Edition opperating system. When I try to look for these different things that are supposed to help correct the problem, my computer gives me popups that tell me these files don't exsist. (Which is probably true, but is there something similar to them on Widows 98 that could correct this problem?)
         We would prefer that we can upgrade our computer to the Windows XP Home Edition without loosing the files we already have saved in our computer. We hope that you, or someone you know, would be able to help us. (I was unsuccessful in finding a way to contact the Microsoft Tech Support, so even a easy way to do that would be helpful)
         Thank you for taking the time to read this. It is much appresheated.
    Sincerely,
    Lauren H
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Self Monitoring Analysis Reporting Technology is your SMART and it has to do with your hard drive turn the settings off in your BIOS, It basically tells you if your Hard Drive gets too hot or it has been powered on and off to near life expectancy, Well it's basically firmware that monitors your hard drive...as for the missing HAL.DLL follow the link... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:28 PM
  • I tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 , and it didn't work.  I have had a system32 error twice now in 8 months.  I have a warranty on the computer, and both times none of the "solutions" worked.  The only solution has been to reinstall Windows completely, which stinks because you lose all of your files on the computer.

Has the above solution ever worked for anyone?

What I want to know is if it is a hardware problem(s) that I'm dealing with.  Twice in 8 months seems too frequent for this to occur when a complete reinstallation of Windows has occurred.

Does anyone have an insight as far as that is concerned?

Saturday, May 05, 2007 12:42 AM
  • http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

This page has all the info you need. Unfortunately most of the time you are going to need a WinXP CD.

Be VERY careful about downloading a new hal.dll from anywhere. Most of the time it will not solve your problem. Quite likely you will download spyware or other nasties instead of the file you need!

Rio
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Thanx kid! It got my system back---hope it stays
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Man I do not get this... My other computer says: missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. How do I fix it? I want to know how to fix it but I can't.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:44 PM
  • I will try this, thanks for that, hope it works for me as it did for you.

Cheers

Monday, May 21, 2007 10:29 AM
  • THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU,  AND THANKYOU A ZILLION TIMES!!!!!!! Your advice worked!!!! A  Merry Christmas to you in  May.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 10:48 PM
  • Ive just got it this morning. Mine is a dell and i didnt get XP disc's with my laptop, so what can i do? Ive tried all the links but they dont work on my laptop. Please help!
    Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:04 PM
  • Please I need help.  I was downloading and installing a software from MS website and something wasn't right.  I rebooted but my dell wouldn't reboot.  it says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.  My dell didn't come with any restored cd or an XP cd.  What can i do?  I have so many files I don't want to lose.  I've read and tried everything but doesn't work.  Please someone help me.  The files are very very valuable to me!!! Thanks!

PSK

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:39 AM
  • does anybody know how to fix this problem when i try to do a system restore it stops it because of system 32 thing is missing or sumthing i dont mind loosing files on my pc just wanted 2 work...

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:29 AM
  • I had the same problem with my Toshiba Equium Laptop,everytime the recovery disc got to 71% it gave out the error message and then I got the system32/hal.dll corrupt or missing mesage when I tried to restart my comp. so  then a friend said give the product recovery disc a good clean and use the toothpaste method to fix any scratches.  Guess what, it worked, so check that your disc hasn't got any fingerprints, dirt or scratches on it.  Hope this helps.

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:43 PM
  • i have the same problem it stops at 71% but i dont have a disk its already loaded into my computer ill i do is press f10 and the program comes up but stomps me at 71 does anybody know of any other way
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:51 PM
  • hello lauren i dont know weather this will help but it could be that windows 98 is a fat 16 and fat 32 file system and windows xp is a ntfs file system you might have to create a seperate partition format that partition as ntfs then try to reinstall windows xp to that partition hope it helps
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:49 PM
  • What is the toothpaste method for fixing scratches and is their any disadvantage to do it.  My XP CD has been around for a while now.  I don't want to replace it but when it is unable to install the driver.cab files and there are several other places that it stops installing on which after I hit retry they eventually work.  Because of this I don't have a very stable platform. 

I had it running the way i wanted it to then I went on a business trip for 5 weeks.  I had the computer off the whole time and as usual I had updates to put on it.  After I put the windows updates on the computer became more and more unresponsive.  To the point that it wasn't doing anything when I would click on things and ctrl/alt/delete didn't do anything so I couldn't even see if it was a particular program that was hanging everything up.  So i restarted then I got the missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll message which brought me to this forum.  I can't do a restore with my disk anymore.  Everytime I hit 'r' the computer just restarts.  So I had to do a complete reinstall.  I was going to follow the instructions knowledgebase 314477 however if I don't have a properly working XP machine I don't see any way to get missing .dll or modify the install disk.  so anyway I just did a new install over the old OS and maybe someday I will get a new CD.  I wanted to make my own slip image of the OS with my on preconfig settings so I don't have to go through the manual setup everytime but its not a good idea to do that with a bad disk.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:55 PM
  • I need help. Im on the other computer here at the house because my other computer will not start up.

It is just a black screen that says...

invalid boot.ni file (something like that..it goes away too fast for me to remember all what it said)

and then the screen at the top just says "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt;

<windows boot>system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

I have windows xp home edition from 2001 and I have no idea where the cd is at. I looked all over the house. My dad has windows xp professional and I put that cd in my hardrive and nothing happened after rebooting (hardrive does not reconize the cd). When I click any key on the keyboard at all, the system restarts again. Even the F key's do that (every key reboots the computer back to the same message)

Is the cd not working because the cd is professional and not home edition? What should I do without a cd and will I be able to copy and paste the hal.dll file in a blank cd and then put it into my computer and will it finally start up and work?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:05 AM
  •  

have you figure out what to do ?

iam having the same problem .

can you please help me once you find out the solution.

thanks

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:58 PM
  • I got it fixed. My dad also helped me with it as well (resetting the administrator password) from one of his friend's cd at work and then I did the rest (with the windows xp cd). The biggest problem was the administrator password because we do not remember ever setting one up. After that was solved, I put in my dads windows xp professional cd (any windows xp cd would work if thats what you have. I have windows xp home edition), and then I followed the directions from this website.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm

When you put any cd or floppy in your computer when your computer could not start up, you must click the "ESC" key multiple times on the keyboard until a screen comes up to ask you which drive you want to start your computer with (pick CD ROM by using your arrow keys and then click enter).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:27 AM
  • I got this error message after running DiskCleaner, which seems to have deleted important system files, so even if I can repair the hal.dll I think I will face additional problems.

However, I have tried all the methods on this thread with no success. I have the recovery dvd but whatever I do it loads a page and then I get the error message. I am unable to boot using the dvd. The result is always the same, one page loaded then the error message flags up. I have not been able to get to the Recovery system. When I press a key this just restarts the computer.

Anyone any idea how to overcome this please??

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:56 AM
  • My kids comp is cursed with this error as well.  I tried using 2 different disks to solve the problem, but when the disk drive engages it stops and the error message comes up again.  Does anyone know a way around this or does it mean the drive is dead? Thanks.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 2:51 PM
  • I also have the same problem. My PC was doing fine untill my PC made me do windows update. It started to update when I was turning off my PC and all off a sudden my PC turned off for some reason. At first I thought it could have been the 1GB RAM memory i was trying to install. Howeveri have read this forum post. and i just found out the reason is the windows update. I have a 160GB drive and Im worried that it has crashed and i will have to buy a new one =(. I have used a Windows XP Home Edition CD that I got with my pc. I have checked the drive and it said that i have unrecoverable parts of drive.. and whenever I want to start the PC I have to wait like 3 minutes (Black Screen) and all of a sudden it says the hal.dll error message. I have the cd, i have tried almost all the options. And also the recovery option on the beginning doesnt work, it also has some missing file but I dont remember the name. So i think im just going to have to take my PC to a computer store or something. =(

Sunday, September 02, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Ok, so this is what i found out. That error was from a hard drive failure. In other words. The drive is damaged and most files are lost. I gave my pc to a store and they said they would fix it for $310 (A NEW HARD DRIVE >=o). . So i payed them. and they said if i wanted to recover any of my files i have to pay $250 extra Um... that would be a rip.. i can get a better computer if i had to add the $250. anyways im still waiting for them to call. i think 6 days is far more than enough time to fix it. So hopefully when you see the message on your screen. Its not a hard drive failure.

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:39 PM
  • HOW DID YOU FIX IT I HAVE THE SAME  THING GOING ON TY

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:59 AM
  •  

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm go here

the boot.ini was my problem and all I had to do was put in any windows xp cd and go to the recovery area on it and follow these directions.

if you put the cd in and the hal.dll message still shows up, reboot again and keep hitting the esc key until a menu shows up, and then with your keyboard arrows, click down to cd rom, and then press enter...and then it will take you to the cd

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:34 AM
  • I went to the site you recomended RioRojo and found some very good information there which lead to ultimately repairing the systemroot error. Like most of you I was unable to complete a log in to my PC and continously received " cannot load the hive file  \systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE  c0000218 registry file failure corrupt, absent or not available" and then it would start dumping to physical memory to disk. I had windows 2000 (NT) instead of the XP like most of you but basically the same problem.

When I went to the site  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm as RioRojo recomended I was directed to a tid bit of information. If you do not have a start up disk you can go to the Microsoft site which is listed in the links provided via the site above and download a hidden recovery disk for XP. I had a copy from another PC and used it in lue of the WIN 2000 format which was on my PC. I booted from the disk and when prompted I did a "repair". After doing this on three attempts and failing the admin password each time my system started working much to my surprise and delight.

Now this may or may not have been a fluke but it worked for me. I have now downloaded the system32 fix program and everything is working find. Not a hard drive issue......

Monday, October 08, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Hey, I'd just like to say TYVM. What you said worked perfectly. Thanks again.
    Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:52 PM
  • You have it going on dude that worked thank you very much

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I need to download system32\hal.dll.to reinstall on my computer.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Hi there: I have a similar problem.  I have an HP DV6000. it had a virus and decided to make a clean installation.  When I tried that with a Windows XP SP2, it told me that there was not Hard Drive Found.  The hard drive is in excellent condition and registered not bad sectors nor bad clusters. Here is the thing, when I tried with the restore CDs. It goes good through the entire process of restore.  But when it Reboots it gives me the same error …… <windows root>\system32\hal.dll……..not found or corrupt.  I tried everything even installing it as an external USB drive.,  Please anyone help..thanks

Saturday, December 01, 2007 5:15 PM
  • I installed my new mother board and the computer said that i need to reinstall windows. So I then did my installation thingy. Once i did that and i restarted the computer it then went to a black screen that said 'missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll." I then got mad and said screw this! What the hell is wrong! After that I took my brother's laptop  and started typing this up. So now could you please help me with this problem? Thanks.

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:27 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I followed you instructi9ons and it worked fine up until a point. When I try to repair it wants a password for administrator. I give it the one I have enterest after using F2 and setting a password. It keeps rejecting the password as invalid? What's that all about? anyone know?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:52 PM
  •  

I have also a problem with rebooting an repairing windows XP.

I changed the hardware of my PC, but I decided to keep my old hard-disk with the Windows XP Home Edition on there.

After rebuilding the system (on a MSI P35 platinum mainboard) I restarted the system and everything went well until Windows had to reboot. I got the message invalid boot.ini followed by missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hall.dll

To solve it I tried to use the original Windows CD, but that did not work as both the repair and install options just made my computer restart and return to the above error message.

After that I thought that it might be that my hard disk was not properly working (missing drivers or something like that), so I created a startup floppy disk and restarted. Unfortunately I forgot to make it a NTFS compatible startup disk. But nevertheless I could access C and see that the files were still there and accessible. However I can't repair the windows install. Boot.ini is not accessible (write protected and doesn't look like text file at all), and the repair console doesn't work. What other options do I have to solve this?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:14 PM
  • I too have had this problem on my Samsung V20 laptop.

Currently I've replaced my memory and hdd as been suggested by other sites to no avail. What makes this fault seemingly like a hardware fault is where I have tried two versions of XP, one the original recovery cd and XP Pro and both have the same error with the hal.dll file.

The laptop can be OK for hours or days, then suddenly crash with the reported error to the hal.dll.

If it is a hardware fault how can it be tested to pinpoint the cause whether it be the CPU or Mainboard as they are all but left to replace.

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:43 PM
  • One day I also started my computer and received a message;  missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so i tried all sorts of things but in end i found out that if you go in to the programs and look for the system 32 and get hal.dll up. i found out some how it had changed to captitals , so i changed it back to lower case and it worked fine after that. so i started the comp up and pressed  F8 and go in on safe mode, press start, press search, type in system 32, go in to system 32 programs and look for  hal.dll   program / folder and see if it had been changed to    HAL.DLL    , if it has change it back to by renaming it    hal.dll  

i hope this works for people as it did for me. oh and by the way i'm computer person i just lucky i think.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Runn Recovery F@ or boot from disk
    Repair with i386 directory and overwrite.
    or try bootcfg /rebuild.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Runn Recovery F2 or boot from disk
    Repair with i386 directory and overwrite.
    or try bootcfg /rebuild.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Just fixed this problem today.

It's cause by the nature of Serial HDD that it has no Master or Slave identification.

If you have more than 1 SATA installed and "Ever" switch the Boot HDD from one to another this will cause the problem "AFTER" you switch it back.

This is because Windows installation will change the value in Motherboard BIOS to match the first switch.

When you switch the HDD you want to boot from again, you have to manually go to BIOS SETTINGS and change the order of SATA HDD order according to what you want.

I can't describe how to set BIOS on each Motherboard here, but I hope this will solve the problem for everyone.

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:12 AM
  • I do have a question on the issue! where i come from there is a serious power interuption resulting into *.dll files corruption. my challenge is to configure an auto shut down especially when the ups battery is low. that measn the pc must receive a trigger message from the ups when the batteries are low. how do i go about that. and more so auto power on without losing the *.dll files. kindly help.

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:39 PM
  • The following file is missing or corrupted:  C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

THEN IT SAYS: TYPE THE NAME OF THE WINDOWS LOADER ( e.g..C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)  WHAT DO I DO NOW ???Thanks Dennis
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:11 AM
  •  

Could someone please help me? I started a system recovery on my XP home edition because I had a virus that was disabling everything. Half way through the recovery it stopped because of missing files, so i ended the recovery program, with the intention of going back on windows to sort it out. however, it wouldn't start up and it keeps displaying the message; missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. and re-install it. how do i re-install it i haven't got a disc to my knowledge? i have tried every windows options when i press f8 but no success. has anyone got any ideas, i would be most grateful for any help.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
    2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
    4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
    5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
    After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.
    For more information about how to edit the Boot.ini file, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

289022 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/) How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Back to the top

Method 3

1. Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
    2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
    3. When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
    4. Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
    5. At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

For Uni-Processor systems:
    expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    For Multi-Processor systems:
    expand <cd-drive>:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ <hd-drive>:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Note In these two commands, the <cd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of your CD drive, and the <hd-drive> placeholder represents the drive letter of the hard disk on which windows is installed.
    6. If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.
    7. Type exit, and press ENTER at the command prompt.

Back to the top

Method 4

Start the computer by using the Recovery Console, and then run theCHKDSK /rcommand.

Note You do not have to include the /p switch in the Chkdsk command-line because the /r switch causes the Chkdsk utility to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. This command implies the /p switch..

Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:39 PM
  •  

I'm now recieving this message as well and I don't know why. I have a disk for Windows, I've switched to boot to the CD-ROM but when i try it tells me Press F1 to reboot or F2 to return to set up. I press F1 and it gives me the same message I press F2 and it sends me back to the setup. So I can't even use the disk apparently.

does anyone know what I can do?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:00 PM
  • It seems after I did an automatic windows update, my <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file went missing.  I cannot boot up in any mode, and I have no XP disc since it came pre-installed on my computer.

Is there anything I can do in BIOS?  That is the only thing my computer will pull up.  No safe mode or anything.  How can I get a disc for XP?  Does this mean I lose everything on my computer?

I am on the verge of being super ticked off at microsoft.

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  

Me too, I need my desktop up and running soon, as my laptop is slowly but surely wasting away and can no longer handle what it used to; but every time i boot up i get this message. Now this is probrably a stupid question, but here goes, i have windows XP home edition but have lost the disc however, i do have a XP pro disc. is it possible for me to do a fresh install using xp pro as my operating system rather than home edition. im not worried about loosing files or anything, they are all at least a year old. I just wanted to know incase I did this; and did further damage to my pc.

thanks in advance,

a very desperate man. =P

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:12 AM
  •  

hi, im having a hard time repairing my computer and i have very important data. i was wondering if u could take me step by step of what to do?
    Friday, June 27, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hopefully solved by now, but for others out there who may have this prob....

Scratched my head for 1.5 hours when it happened to me, then remembered I had a camera card in the sd slot with a firmware hack on it called CHDK for Canon point and shoots... and executable.... pulled it out set the boot order back in the bios and all is well.

hope this helps at least one other person.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Here it is for all of you that may need help with this issue today, found this web site with specific instructions, hope is helpful!

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/system32hal-dll-t129956.html
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:46 PM
  •  

i seem to have lost my windowsroot on my puter how do i get it back

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:07 PM
  • i have the same problem craig has i lost my windows root  system32\hal.dll. how do  i get it back

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Hello Tigerk: I do not know how to fix the problem but can add that the root is the CPU's cache memory. The fact that this file is in the root is indicative of that a perverted copy of Windows also resides in the CPU's cache. No "restore" disk could fix this problem, a savvy tech would have known that. The infected computer's CPU & HD both have to be replaced plus the CMOS memory must be erased & reset. Both the HD (in the inaccessable area) holds a copy of this malware as does the computers CPU cache. Both reinforce each other. Very few know that an XP computer can be remotely controlled via cellphone radio. Most "HAL.DLL" infected computers are radio controlled. "Somebody" "out there" wants to steal that computers data. Such a computer will ALWAYS be under "netbios" control. Your BIOS means nothing. Goto "start", than "run" Than type "msinfo32" than goto "componants" than to "protocols" than to "internet". The last protocal is the most recent added. (Netbios) - Check its characteristics. You will see that it supports "broadcasting". That broadcast is cellphone remote control. As of yet Microsoft has done nothing to resolve this issue. When I brought this to their attention I was told to report it to the FBI. So far the FBI has done nothing either. If you thought the NET was a computers only source of remote access, you are wrong. I am a retired design engineer working on an innovative idea & for the past 2.5 years have been unable to use my home computers to assist me because of this remote spying. The error in question will only pop up at startup if the computer is unable to contact the remote controller. It must have been moved or a blocking "thing" was put in the way. "Connectionless Service" is what the high end techs call this invasion of privacy. Look it up - see for yourself. - Tom

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I came across your problem when my sister had the same with her pc, we tried several different things with no resolve so I tried this and it worked I'm no pro when it comes to pc's but it might work for you too.

Unplug your drive and put into another XP pc that is working and run your drive as a slave.

When I did this with my sisters pc hd my system started up with her drive as a slave it then checked the files replaced a whole bunch and then I set in place a check disc for when it was put back into her tower.

We put it back into her tower started it up and bingo disc check done system back up and running Smile

Hope it works for you like it did for me - Good luck.

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:02 AM
  • i need help with my hp computer when i turn it on it goes to the black sreen with the system 32 thing so then i go to the hp pc system recovery by pressing f10 then start the recovery of windows  then it stops at 71% n then blue screen comes up how do i fix this problem

Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:30 AM
  • hello everyone, i know what the problem with this windows thing is...okay so the thing is that either of 5 things happend...if you try and push f8 and it doesnt let you on there 1 of two things happend either ur hard drive totally crashed and you need to get a new one...or a bug got into ur computer and distroyed all of ur hard drive info. the way to fix it is you have to either get the microsoft xp or 2008 or 2009 ...whatever you did have ur computer runing on and try to upload all that again ...or if you just use ur computer as a web brouser....aka just for the internet...you can ...if you have another computer go on line and look up a free program that just runs the internet ...and burn it onto a disk or dvd rom w.e. ur computer takes in cd form....and instull just the internet browser ....and if you have either the microsoft program instuled or the web browser....if  you dont have any problems with ur computer with in 6-7 months and its running fine then the problem was that a bug got into ur computer and deleted all ur hard drive ...if you are still having problems with ur computer it means its either time for a new computer or a new hard drive....Good luck to all i know this problem is a huge pain in tthe butt i just found out how to fix it ....from a good smart friend Surprise)

i hope i helped

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:21 PM
  • 1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
    2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
    4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
    5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
    After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

now if this does not work put your xp cd in boot up the cd go to set up windows now when ask what to do pust r for repair that it
    Friday, October 24, 2008 7:09 AM
  • I have an Acer PC about 2 years old also.  I am getting the same message.  I have the acer restore disks and ran through those ok only until it rebooted and then said the file was missing or corrupt. 

Saturday, December 06, 2008 3:01 AM
  • I don't think it was your hard drive. Most computer techs can recover your personal data files from even the deadest hd. The tech probably just did a destructive system restore-which you could have done yourself- and just told you there was nothing he could do.
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:31 AM
  • OneHal.dll Two Hal s . Three      Oh please OH please can some one help me. use a start up diskette upon start up .  have the hal.dll on a cd or also on the floppy. /copy  place. Walla    hope this was helpful. -_-

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:15 AM
  • My son claims that he was simply trying to remove some applications, via the MSCONFIG command, from starting up when Windows XP booted up.  The next time he restarted his computer he received the Missing HAL.DLL message.  In an attempt to help him save his operating system, the 300+ digital pictures and the 100's of dollars of iTunes he had no back-up copies of, I searched for technical help and again returned to this forum site.

It was here that I found Fred Langa's article on using the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command.  I followed his advice to the letter:  http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

Created a Slipstream Setup CD of Windows XP w/SP3 THEN:
    ·         Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
    ·        
    Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
    ·        
    Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
    ·        
    Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
    ·        
    Run Fixboot

The first problem I encountered was that No Windows Installation Could be Found.  I did manage to remove the attributes from the Boot.INI file and Delete the Boot.INI file, however, Bootcfg /Rebuild failed repeatedly because a Windows Installation could not be found.  After repeated failed attempts to run the Bootcfg command I began clutching at straws.  My next action was to try and use the FIXMBR command but that also failed because of the No Windows Installation situation.  At this point I threw in the towel.

Complicating my Repair Attempts was a repeated Windows Failure while in the Recovery Console.  Windows would go into the Blue Screen apparently because of a Hardware/Software problem.  The message was something to the effect of "IRQL Not Equal" and suggested that I run CHKDSK /F (however /F was not available so I used the /R switch instead).  The CHKDSK procedure would consistently reach 25% completion and then produce the Blue Screen IRQL related failure notification.

Approximately 2 years ago this forum helped me preserve my son's data when he experienced a motherboard failure that necessitated a motherboard replacement/device drivers install etc. and a Windows XP Installation repair.  I'm hoping that it can again assist me in resolving this complex situation.   Thanks...

Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hey Craig23.  Thanks for tring to help.   However, I need to find good software that will format my 250 GB. and Reinstall my software for windows XP Media Eddition.  On Saturday last week my Computer froze. I think due to bad Battery wich I since replaced first of all. I had this problem about four years ago, so after I formated my 80gb HD I was able reinstall Windows XP Profession.  I, now have Pc HP 7330n which worked for the last 6years great. I do have original CD's.  For some reason my PC does not recognize the disks, It says that disks are for another model. I know that I need to whipe my HD and start all over.  REGCure is the worst software for Registry.  It does things that now one wonts to do to their registry.  Might as well go into the Regeditor and hack your regostru.  I have dealth with these silly machines for over 15years, I am acctually sick of it.   Thanks for you Attention.  Marija

Monday, January 26, 2009 12:15 PM