How to find lost win xp product key from microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I lost my win xp product key during relocation. I dont have a working installation of win xp on my pc. I had installed and registered win xp with microsoft before. Is it possible to find the product key using my online registration? Can microsoft help me find my product key back?

I am stuck without it for a year now. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:05 AM

Answers

• Anonymous1024XX,

If the computer came from its manufacturer with XP preinstalled, your genuine XP Product key is located on the MS Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to the computer's case.  On laptops it will be on the bottom of the laptop.

If you purchased a genuine copy of XP at retail, the Product Key is located on a yellow-orange sticker affixed to the flap of the folder which held the XP CDROM.  This folder was inside the pretty retail box.  The retail package has a COA on the outer boxtop, but it does not have the Product Key printed on it.

Do you have any of the above materials?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Dan,

Thanks for your help. I dont have none of those you mentioned above nor does any pc have the installation. One thing I remember is registering it with microsoft. The copy was a legally licensed copy.

Do you have anymore questions? Is there a way to recover the product key?

Thanks

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Anonymous1024xx,

Unfortunately, I know of no way for you to get replacements since you have no physical proof that you ever had a genuine license for XP.  Microsoft does have a program that replaces systembuilder/OEM CDs that are lost or damaged, but having a new CD does you no good without a CoA and a Product Key.

However, it couldn't hurt to contact these folks and ask them about it: 

Microsoft System Builder Component Replacement Team

Phone: (866) 230-0560 Fax: (661) 244-4401

Hours of Operation: 8 am - 5 pm (PST)

E-mail: sbcreplacea@msdirectservices.com

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:29 PM

All replies

• Anonymous1024XX,

If the computer came from its manufacturer with XP preinstalled, your genuine XP Product key is located on the MS Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to the computer's case.  On laptops it will be on the bottom of the laptop.

If you purchased a genuine copy of XP at retail, the Product Key is located on a yellow-orange sticker affixed to the flap of the folder which held the XP CDROM.  This folder was inside the pretty retail box.  The retail package has a COA on the outer boxtop, but it does not have the Product Key printed on it.

Do you have any of the above materials?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Dan,

Thanks for your help. I dont have none of those you mentioned above nor does any pc have the installation. One thing I remember is registering it with microsoft. The copy was a legally licensed copy.

Thanks

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Anonymous1024xx,

Unfortunately, I know of no way for you to get replacements since you have no physical proof that you ever had a genuine license for XP.  Microsoft does have a program that replaces systembuilder/OEM CDs that are lost or damaged, but having a new CD does you no good without a CoA and a Product Key.

However, it couldn't hurt to contact these folks and ask them about it: 

Microsoft System Builder Component Replacement Team

Phone: (866) 230-0560 Fax: (661) 244-4401

Hours of Operation: 8 am - 5 pm (PST)

E-mail: sbcreplacea@msdirectservices.com

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:29 PM
  •  Anonymous1024XX wrote:

Dan,

Thanks

Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Hello Sarkaryogan,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in a new thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:53 PM