none
My computer motherboard will be fixed...What should I do to re-validate Windows 7 when I replaced the damaged motherboard. RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon, 

I was wondering if someone could shed more light on the following subject. About a year ago I made a computer from scratch and I installed Windows 7 System Builder's 64-bit edition as the OS. I was able to validate the system with no problem, unfortunately, a few weeks ago the computer started having issues and the cause of the problem was a faulty motherboard. The fix is to completely replace the motherboard.

I know for fact that when you install Windows 7 System Builder's edition, Windows Genuine Advantage sends the motherboard's unique ID to prevent piracy. As a result, if I use the same copy of Windows 7 in the future to re-install the OS in my system with the new motherboard (inside the same casing) WGA will not validate the install, since the motherboard numbers are different, and labels it as pirated system.

What should I do? I don't want to pay another copy of Windows 7 due to a faulty motherboard.

Thanks for your assistance!

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:03 PM

Answers

• Correct.  Just read the quote in my previous reply.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by vea1083 Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:56 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You should not have purchased an OEM System Builders copy in the first place. You were out of compliance with the system builder license when you installed the software on your own system. The SB license allows you to install and test the software on a system for sale to a customer only. It forbids you to use the software yourself. This is detailed in plain language in the system builder license printed on the wrapper of the System Builder pack. All of this is spelled out on the product details tabs on the reseller websites, such as NewEgg and Amazon, as well. You are not a system builder as defined in the license. You are simply a do-it-yourselfer and the correct license for a self-built computer is retail. The OEM System Builder home page is at

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx

The OEM End User License Agreement you installed on the hard drive is not transferrable to another make and model motherboard. If you replace with the same make and model, called a "repair replacement", you can reactivate by phone. If you replace with a different make or model, called an "upgrade replacement", you will need to purchase a new license for Windows. Here is the quote in pertinent part from the OEM FAQ section of the above linked Microsoft website:

"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

Contact the mobo manufacturer for information as to the manufacturer's current replacement part number for your defective mobo if your original mobo is not available any more. No other mobo will qualify.

I suggest you cure the out of compliance situation and simply purchase a retail full license copy of Windows 7. Then you will have no problems transferring the license to a new mobo or computer in the future.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:56 PM
    Answerer
  • You'll need to "activate by phone" by speaking with a Microsoft activation representative and explain what happened.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:27 PM
  • You should not have purchased an OEM System Builders copy in the first place. You were out of compliance with the system builder license when you installed the software on your own system. The SB license allows you to install and test the software on a system for sale to a customer only. It forbids you to use the software yourself. This is detailed in plain language in the system builder license printed on the wrapper of the System Builder pack. All of this is spelled out on the product details tabs on the reseller websites, such as NewEgg and Amazon, as well. You are not a system builder as defined in the license. You are simply a do-it-yourselfer and the correct license for a self-built computer is retail. The OEM System Builder home page is at

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx

The OEM End User License Agreement you installed on the hard drive is not transferrable to another make and model motherboard. If you replace with the same make and model, called a "repair replacement", you can reactivate by phone. If you replace with a different make or model, called an "upgrade replacement", you will need to purchase a new license for Windows. Here is the quote in pertinent part from the OEM FAQ section of the above linked Microsoft website:

"If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

Contact the mobo manufacturer for information as to the manufacturer's current replacement part number for your defective mobo if your original mobo is not available any more. No other mobo will qualify.

I suggest you cure the out of compliance situation and simply purchase a retail full license copy of Windows 7. Then you will have no problems transferring the license to a new mobo or computer in the future.

Ok... the EULA screw-up it was an honest mistake, I will try to remedy the situation as soon as I save up 200 USD for a full license.

As for the Mobo is the same model as the faulty one. So then I can Windows 7 with my current registration key, right?

• Edited by vea1083 Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:42 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:41 PM
  • You'll need to "activate by phone" by speaking with a Microsoft activation representative and explain what happened.
    Carey Frisch
    What's their number?
    • Edited by vea1083 Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:44 PM typo error
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Correct.  Just read the quote in my previous reply.
    • Marked as answer by vea1083 Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:56 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Click Start, type "slui.exe 3", Enter.  Follow the instructions.  The phone number will be listed as soon as you enter your region in the wizard.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok. Thanks for the clarification of the EULA. I think MS needs to change the EULA  to a simpler language since its current form is very confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Please see: Activate using the telephone
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:56 PM
  • "vea1083" wrote in message news:9947d41f-0dc6-4243-bcb9-dd5bae7cd24f...

Ok. Thanks for the clarification of the EULA. I think MS needs to change the EULA  to a simpler language since its current form is very confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Believe me – this version is a LOT clearer than the old one!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, October 14, 2011 8:49 AM