Re-use of XP pro after scrapping old computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I intend, for various reasons, to scrap my computer and build a more up to date machine using Windows 7. Is it permissible to use my existing fully licensed copy of XP Pro on the new computer in a dual boot system? 
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

• "Sandgrounder" wrote in message news:b8302c2b-cb4f-4459-a147-e7f091e49048...
    I intend, for various reasons, to scrap my computer and build a more up to date machine using Windows 7. Is it permissible to use my existing fully licensed copy of XP Pro on the new computer in a dual boot system? 

Assuming:-
    1) The existing copy of XP is a Retail Full version
    AND
    2) The New Win 7 is a Retail (or OEM) Full version
    then yes

If either the XP or Win 7 are OEM versions which have been previously installed on the current (or any other) machine, then NO - OEM Licenses are limited to the machine on which they are first installed.
    If either are Upgrades, then you will have to provide also the qualifying system - installed and activated - to be able to do the upgrade.

You may need to activate the XP license over the phone - and if the Win 7 license is currently installed on the 'old' Pc, you will certainly need to activate that over the phone.

Note that if you get Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, you can run in XP Mode - which is a fully-functional Virtual Machine - under Win7, so (hopefully) removing the need to dual-boot

Note also that many motherboards currently in production will not have drivers for Win XP.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:04 PM

All replies

• "Sandgrounder" wrote in message news:b8302c2b-cb4f-4459-a147-e7f091e49048...
    I intend, for various reasons, to scrap my computer and build a more up to date machine using Windows 7. Is it permissible to use my existing fully licensed copy of XP Pro on the new computer in a dual boot system? 

Assuming:-
    1) The existing copy of XP is a Retail Full version
    AND
    2) The New Win 7 is a Retail (or OEM) Full version
    then yes

If either the XP or Win 7 are OEM versions which have been previously installed on the current (or any other) machine, then NO - OEM Licenses are limited to the machine on which they are first installed.
    If either are Upgrades, then you will have to provide also the qualifying system - installed and activated - to be able to do the upgrade.

You may need to activate the XP license over the phone - and if the Win 7 license is currently installed on the 'old' Pc, you will certainly need to activate that over the phone.

Note that if you get Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, you can run in XP Mode - which is a fully-functional Virtual Machine - under Win7, so (hopefully) removing the need to dual-boot

Note also that many motherboards currently in production will not have drivers for Win XP.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Noel.

I should be ok because my XP version is a full retail and I haven't yet bought the Windows 7 version. This was just a "groundwork" enquiry in the planning stage to clear up any legal problems I might encounter.

Much appreciated.

ps. I also appreciate your signature referring to grinding ..... :-) 

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:06 PM