none
Windows HPC Server 2008 beta 2 DOA during install? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I am trying to get a cluster together and am having some problems with recent builds of HPC Server including BETA 2. When I do a bare-metal install, the process seems to go correctly (correct drivers installed, etc) but when the nodes reboot the first time to go to GUI mode setup, they throw a "Bootmgr missing' error. A little research indicates a probable corrupt or missing BCD file. That was missing but correcting that didn't fix the problem. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Having given up on that approach I manually installed Server 2008 and then the HPC pack on the nodes and pointed them to the head-node. None sees each other. What am I missing? Is there some trick to getting a node/head-node to see each other?

Any thoughts on using either method to join nodes to the cluster are appreciated.

cheers

John

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:08 AM

Answers

• Brian,

thanks for the note. We actually solved it late today. The problem was that the ISO I made up of the OS bits was busted. I made a new image and it was 200MB bigger than the old one. Using that one, we got things to install correctly. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

John

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Can you describe the network topology you are using?  I don't recall ever seeing issues with corrupt or missing BCD files during deployment but I have experienced hardware failures during provisioning (which tend to manifest themselves in ways that can be difficult to diagnose).

With the manual setup, can you ping between head node and compute node and/or establish a share connection between nodes?  Have you verified that firewall settings aren't potentially interfering?

--Brian

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:55 AM
  • Brian,

thanks for the note. We actually solved it late today. The problem was that the ISO I made up of the OS bits was busted. I made a new image and it was 200MB bigger than the old one. Using that one, we got things to install correctly. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

John

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:10 AM