WHS hosting WCF service RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a WCF service which is hosted on my home server, i also have clients which can connect using windows security on the soap messages. This works fine with any user who has an account on the server, however, I now want to make my service available to client who dont have a windows account on the server.

I understand that I can do this with WCF using Username security, however, to do this I need to use https which requires a certificate.

My service is on port 8089, I was thinking of using the WHS certificate that is used by any client accessing the server. Does anyone know if this is a possibility and would I have to use port 443 for my service to enable this.

Any ideas gratefully received

Mal

Mal
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:20 PM dev question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• You won't be able to use port 443; it's used by the standard Windows Home Server remote access web site. But I don't think there would be any serious problem with using the standard cert and binding it to an additional port.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:20 PM
  • As Ken indicates you should be able to bind to any port.
    For more information, see the MSDN Library?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:27 PM
  • I know I can bind it to my port, the problem is that if I distribute my application I want it to be user friendly and a user having to bind a certificate to a port is not for the faint hearted.

Anyone know if this is possible through code, I suppose that would be an issue too because I think you need to be admin to do the binding.

Anyone know if there is another path I can take or is this the best way?

Mal

Mal
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Script it in the installation of your add-in. I'm pretty sure everything is exposed to allow you to do this via VBScript, PowerShell, or a good old batch file (follow that link Theo provided :) ).

Note that you may have to do a fair bit of work to make sure you handle all cases properly: some users will not have a certificate bound to xxx.homeserver.com, either because they have an OEM server from e.g. HP with a vanity URL supplied through a vendor other than Windows Live, or because they did the work to obtain and install a certificate themselves. You should make sure you bind the right cert.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I have worked this out during the course of the day and have now shelled out in my installation to add the port to the certificate. However, this is only the default WHS certificate and now I am wondering how to proceed after your comments on other certificates.

I think I can look through the WHS certificate store from code but I dont know what to look for, anyone help on this?

Mal

Mal
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:15 PM