none
AN IMPORTANT NOTICE:- for members + admins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends

I just thought of taking the initiative to something that i have observed in the forums and i am sure all the members will agree with it and respond

This is what has been hapening

1. Threads with double topics [same name]

2. Anywhere posting [this is not ATM guys]

3. Not marking answers and as useful.

This is what is required from the members

1. before posting a new topic, please check for its existence

2. do not post irrelevant topics in irrrelevant thread [e.g posting general stuff in "student rockstar", posting non-technical stuff in "technical queries"

3. Please take courtesy to mark posts as useful and to mark them as answers. [imagine nobody marking as answers and as useful???]

4. Please post sensible

I think guys at the end of the day , its we who are benefitting from it, so we should take some courtesy and some care to ensure that these things are done, afterall it will help our browsing the forum a better experience, a less time consuming and not time-wasting one.

IF you guys have noticed something which you would like to bring up then please post it over here and everybody shall make some effort

Monday, May 28, 2007 3:21 PM

Answers

• I m with you Anoop, also some people are using the forums for their personal benefits like advertising, which should not be appreciated, till some extent if you are giving an information its good.. but a pure spamming and advertising should not be allowed...
    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:39 PM
  • exactly varun.....i just hope that everybody cooperates, so that we can have a better place...anyways u got any ideas or any ways out?
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:37 AM
  • The only solution is to have a moderator around who moderates the things going on... else make any previous student partner a moderator... after 15 they will have many student partners.. so then we can have one..

Other thing is to have and option of delete, to delete the topic by the woner and one more thing we can have an option to delte by members also, we define a limit on it, lets say if 10 different people request to delete the thread, the thread is deleted...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:30 AM
  • I agree with you Varun. But i would like to modify a bit what i have said.

One thing there should be a moderator around. I agree with that.
    The other thing that you said is we can vote for a thread to get deleted. In this way people can misuse the facility , they can create 5 fake accounts, and delete everyones threads, and himself become the first rank amongst the forums. If there is no contest going on, then useful information may be lost. And there are many people who would like to take revenge on others, so many will just do it to take the revenge, and some might do it just for the sake of fun. What should be dine here is that, after the voting has reached say about 10, it will alert the administrators/moderators, they can take just action , and if they find someone misusing the "Vote for blacklisting  the thread"  the admins can block them.

But  i think there is a similar thing already existing  - "Report Abuse". I dont think anyone of us has tried using it ?has any one ?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:53 AM
  • There is a limit or lets say a minimum number requiered to triger the alarm...
    Like orkut has a report abuse limit of 1000, if 1000 people report abuse, the community or profile is blocked...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:52 PM
  • oh i c...well i think the number whuld be low..i thought as soon as u report abuse, immediately the moderators are informed...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:12 PM

All replies

• I m with you Anoop, also some people are using the forums for their personal benefits like advertising, which should not be appreciated, till some extent if you are giving an information its good.. but a pure spamming and advertising should not be allowed...
    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Kudos for the good advice guys!!!
    Monday, May 28, 2007 10:30 PM
  • exactly varun.....i just hope that everybody cooperates, so that we can have a better place...anyways u got any ideas or any ways out?
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:37 AM
  • The only solution is to have a moderator around who moderates the things going on... else make any previous student partner a moderator... after 15 they will have many student partners.. so then we can have one..

Other thing is to have and option of delete, to delete the topic by the woner and one more thing we can have an option to delte by members also, we define a limit on it, lets say if 10 different people request to delete the thread, the thread is deleted...
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:30 AM
  • I agree with you Varun. But i would like to modify a bit what i have said.

One thing there should be a moderator around. I agree with that.
    The other thing that you said is we can vote for a thread to get deleted. In this way people can misuse the facility , they can create 5 fake accounts, and delete everyones threads, and himself become the first rank amongst the forums. If there is no contest going on, then useful information may be lost. And there are many people who would like to take revenge on others, so many will just do it to take the revenge, and some might do it just for the sake of fun. What should be dine here is that, after the voting has reached say about 10, it will alert the administrators/moderators, they can take just action , and if they find someone misusing the "Vote for blacklisting  the thread"  the admins can block them.

But  i think there is a similar thing already existing  - "Report Abuse". I dont think anyone of us has tried using it ?has any one ?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:53 AM
  • No, i dont think anyone has used this option, actually we dont have details of it, how to use it, what is the limit of it... generally report abuse has a very high limit, more than 100...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:36 AM
  • very nice suggestions varun and harshil, i only wish if admins would have read that.

I specially liked that suggestion ki admins should make MSP OR MVP as moderators...

and varun, for reporting abuse , anyone can do it anytime....there is no limit?..what limit of 100 are you talking about? i did not get it?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:34 PM
  • There is a limit or lets say a minimum number requiered to triger the alarm...
    Like orkut has a report abuse limit of 1000, if 1000 people report abuse, the community or profile is blocked...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:52 PM
  • @Varun - Are you sure that the limit here is 100 ? I think its not the case in here. I think about 5-10 abuses, will alert the admins. Not sure though.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Are thatz what i said, I dont know the case here.. i just gave a general scenarion where report abuse have higher limits...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:03 PM
  • oh i c...well i think the number whuld be low..i thought as soon as u report abuse, immediately the moderators are informed...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:12 PM
  • thats what i personally think now Anoop. The admins will be alerted immediately on the report of abuse, the admin then can take appropriate action.

But this would increase the work for the admins, the admin will have lots and lots of posts to monitor. I think having a limit is a better option Smile
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:16 PM
  • ya even i was thinking the same, and keeping in mind the amount of activity i have seen from admins, i dont think, they would be liked to be informed immediately...they hardly are involved inthis forums i guess...anyways may be there might be a number set...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Although compared to a lot of people i am a junior in this forum, but i havent noticed a single situation where i had to use the 'Report Abuse' button. If there are duplicate threads, is it really harming people? We definitely dont need redundant information, but does that mean we just start thinking of creating a funnel and filter, and see to it that every section of the forum is moderated. What happened to the freedom of speech? (i mean the freedom of writing)

(Disclaimer : The author of this message does not wish to contradict any post or reply to the original of this thread. Copyright © Adnan)

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:32 AM
  • hi adnan, i respect your views, and would like to tell you that this is not only about duplicate threads...there are many more things...

by default, when a forum is divided into group/categories then there has to be a reason for it, there has to be a meaning behind, grouping it into categories, now if people post anyhow, randomly without keeping the categories in mind, then better there not be any categories, just one samvaad, and post as many topics related to anything...i hope you get my point..

secondly, its also about posting questions and answering them himself/herslf by creating fake ids, now we can all see that people are doing it for points and forums, dont u think its going to harm you? for me, it doesnt matter as i joined the forums very late and its not going to make a difference to me, if somebody scores points by posting and answering himself/herself, but relate it you, relate it to all other forums members who have been here since febrauary?...dont u think its unfair??

well there are many issues like this, which are being missued on the forum and on the student rockstar challenge...but i dont want to criticise more...

anyways no issues and chill.....

Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:01 AM
  • yes man, it does make a difference to the ones who has been here since the start. there are manypeople who are just about to cross the 10K boundary if they get the poitns for the forums  and/or quiz. Now if others misuse it, then the ones who are about to cross 10K will not be able to make it.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:01 PM
  • You are absolutely right about it Anoop.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 2:24 PM