Backup (2) computers to the same external hard drive using live one care? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Can I have a desktop and a nootebook, using liveone care on each machine. Currently I backup (livecare) from the desktop to and external hard drive.

Question: Can I back up the notebook to the same hard drive, will show different pc?

Queestion:   Does the back copy windows or just the data from my hard drive?

Sincerely,

Thanks,

Ron Reger

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:17 PM

Answers

• There are several ways to do this. If you simply move the drive between computers, yes, each backup catalog will be maintained separately. You can leave the drive connected to one PC, then make a shared folder on the drive, granting permission for that Share for the user ID of the other PC, and then add a network location for the other PC to backup to. And, finally, with the same Share concept, you can use OneCare centralized backup to have both PCs backup to the same drive with the PC that is hosting the drive configured to be a hub in your OneCare Circle. You can learn more about all of these options by searching for Backup in OneCare Instant Help.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• There are several ways to do this. If you simply move the drive between computers, yes, each backup catalog will be maintained separately. You can leave the drive connected to one PC, then make a shared folder on the drive, granting permission for that Share for the user ID of the other PC, and then add a network location for the other PC to backup to. And, finally, with the same Share concept, you can use OneCare centralized backup to have both PCs backup to the same drive with the PC that is hosting the drive configured to be a hub in your OneCare Circle. You can learn more about all of these options by searching for Backup in OneCare Instant Help.

-steve

Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  

Hello,

Worked great,

Thanks.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:02 PM
  • You're welcome, Ron.

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:08 PM