Is this add-in available? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a WHS add-in that allows folder synchrnozation between a folder on WHS and a folder on a client PC.  It would be great if sync times/intervals could be configured for this as well.  This add-in would be very useful for tasks like sharing Recorded TV from Media Center machines (without manually transferring newly recorded shows) and just generally having the same files on the WHS server without doing manual work.  Does anyone know if an add-in like this is available?  It'd be great to use the WHS interface to setup/manage all the folder synchronizations that I need with the multiple PCs I have connected to it.  Let me know if anyone knows of such an add-in. 

BTW, I know that you can use SyncToy or other sync software to do this from each client pc, but I'd love to do it all from the server automatically.

Thanks guys!

Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:44 AM

All replies

• No such add-in has been published here, so I doubt one is available. I'm fairly sure it's not possible to create such an add-in as an add-in; in order to work it needs both a server and a client component, and the add-in model doesn't allow for client components at this time (maybe in a future version of WHS...).
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:47 AM
  • Do you know SureSync from Software Pursuits Inc?. Because you are working with shares on the WHS a comfortable way would be to download the SureSync module (workstation) only, not the Server version or an agent. Ask them if they have a testlicence for worstation, I am not sure. You have to install the software on each client. The workstation version has a moderate price.

If this is what you want and your budget is ready for it you can "flip" the scenario. Use the server version (testlicence available) on the WHS and add an agent (SPIagent) licence + module on each client. This would be the scenario you are searching for.

At this time Suresync is not an add-on, it is a stand alone product. Suresync is very powerfull tool. I am using these Software modules since years with sucess in my complete network. I call it a swiss army knife for replication, synchronization, archiving and versioning. Have a loot at the handouts.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:01 AM
  • With regard to recorded TV, there is indeed an addin which does most of what you're looking for.  Based on the stand-alone product Recorded TV Manager 2,  the Recorded TV Manager Addin for Windows Home Server uses a Windows service application on the Home Server to monitor Media Center recorded TV folders and automatically move or copy content throughout your network.

This addin was submitted to the Code2Fame Challenge and you can view my video describing it here.  I plan to release a fully-functional Beta version within the next week or two.

http://www.fjdrasch.com/WHS/Code2FameChallenge.wmv

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:42 AM
  • It seems that if WHS has the ability to monitor files/folders on client pcs, then it should be able to be setup for synchronization.  What is the limiting factor in this case?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:29 AM
  • WHS doesn't monitor files and folders. When a backup is run, files and folders (actually, I think just hash values, but it's the same concept) are compared with what's stored on WHS already, and only those files with changed clusters will be sent.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:59 AM
  •  fjdrasch wrote:

With regard to recorded TV, there is indeed an addin which does most of what you're looking for.  Based on the stand-alone product Recorded TV Manager 2,  the Recorded TV Manager Addin for Windows Home Server uses a Windows service application on the Home Server to monitor Media Center recorded TV folders and automatically move or copy content throughout your network.

This addin was submitted to the Code2Fame Challenge and you can view my video describing it here.  I plan to release a fully-functional Beta version within the next week or two.

http://www.fjdrasch.com/WHS/Code2FameChallenge.wmv

Hey Rick, I plan to download a trial shortly and try it out. In the meantime, can you advise if your application will work with media files other-than-mce. For example, those created by BeyondTV, MythTV. In addition, can it be used to aggregate other media files? (Obviously, there would be limitations to program information.)

Just some thoughts.

Paul 

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:48 PM
  •  mpalermo wrote:

I'm looking for a WHS add-in that allows folder synchrnozation between a folder on WHS and a folder on a client PC.  It would be great if sync times/intervals could be configured for this as well.  This add-in would be very useful for tasks like sharing Recorded TV from Media Center machines (without manually transferring newly recorded shows) and just generally having the same files on the WHS server without doing manual work.  Does anyone know if an add-in like this is available?  It'd be great to use the WHS interface to setup/manage all the folder synchronizations that I need with the multiple PCs I have connected to it.  Let me know if anyone knows of such an add-in. 

BTW, I know that you can use SyncToy or other sync software to do this from each client pc, but I'd love to do it all from the server automatically.

Thanks guys!

I haven't tried it myself, but assuming SyncToy works on WHS/Server2003, why not just install and schedule SyncToy to run on the server? You'll have to RDP into the server to make it work but at least it is server based and can sync to all clients.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:50 PM
  • I would use Robocopy, personally, but synctoy or a commercial offering should work. You'll need to set up shares and permissions for the folders to be copied, as well, which is why I said that I don't think you can do it as an add-in; an add-in installs on, and runs on, the server, and doesn't have the ability to change settings on the client PCs.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:04 PM
  • At this time, Recorded TV Manager only works with Media Center recordings (dvr-ms files).

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:56 PM
  • I use FolderMatch to sync folders between PC & WHS.

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:48 PM
  • have you looked at foldershare? it is free and now owened by microsoft.

https://www.foldershare.com/
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:44 PM