none
problem I have consultants that work on multiple tasks across multiple projects across multiple customers. RRS feed

• Question

• A time sheet could have multiple tasks across multiple projects and multiple (customers / approvers) these could be at different clients completely. 

We would like to be able to have the approvers approve only the work they are approver on it Tasks for which they are the customer. 

is there a way to do this. 

Friday, April 5, 2019 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

I suggest to enable Single Entry Mode (SEM - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Best-practices-for-submitting-and-reporting-on-actual-work-3E7C1495-41B2-47EF-937F-354E5BE1D4A6)

With SEM enabled, there will be two approval requests for each timesheet line:

• A Status Manager needs to approve Status Update. In most cases, Status Manager is the project owner. This should be your "customers / approvers"
    • The timesheet itself can require approval. You have 3 options there:
      1. You set each resource to be his or her own timesheet manager. This will lead to an automatic approval when submitting a timesheet (the Status Update will still be necessary)
      2. You just set the timesheet manager to the line manager foor each resource. In this way, each team/department lead knows what happens in own team/department
      3. You use number "2" and enable "Require line approval before timesheet approval" on "Timesheet Settings and Defaults". With this option enabled, all Status Updates have to be approved by Status Manager before the timesheet manager can approve the timesheet.

Enabled SEM has the big advantage, that reported hours will be applied to your projects. So Project Manager just knows about the current status.

If you don't want to use timesheets at all, just ask users to update their progress on "Tasks" only and don't enable SEM. Status Updates on Tasks will be sent to Status Managers / Project Owners for approval and no timesheet approval is required (since they are not used at all.

Most of the time, I implement usage of timesheets with SEM enabled and set timesheet managers to resource name to avoid to many approvals but get the important ones. Status Managers / Project Owners are in charge for their projects, so they should be forced to approve the status.

Does that help or did I confuse you?

Barbara

Friday, April 5, 2019 2:41 PM