Server folders full and won't expand RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I added a new server folder for "Movies" which currently has 8.8Gb of data.

The drive "Movies (O:)" reports a total size of 12Gb in "My Computer", and leaves only 3.2Gb free.

So when I try copying 4gb of data to this folder, it tells me the drive is full.

Well obviously that makes sense if there is only 3.2gb free... But why do I only have 3.2gb free?

Should this expand in some way as I have loads of free space in the Storage Pool.

In the dashboard, on the Summary tab, it reports my Storage pool is a total of 140Gb, with 61Gb free.

My storage pool is a single hard drive (Western Dig - Velociraptor 150gb)

So whats the deal if I have loads of space on my pool... when/how/why do the folders/shares expand or increase as needed?

I have not made any changes/shares or other folders, other than through the Dashboard.

Also Shadows copies is disabled on all folders.

I already have other folders (Music, and downloads) that are way above 14Gb each, so why is this one Movies folder hitting a 12Gb limit on not automatically expanding when the pool has lots of space.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:56 AM

All replies

• So I'm still having issues with folder/shares being full, which I'm not sure why since there is 65Gb left in the storage pool.

So my next question is if this is a problem, and this is still Beta.......

What is home server (Vail) going to offer me that Server 2008 R2 Standard doesn't have or offer?

As a member of a another site I can get a copy of 2008 Server R2.

so is there a reason I should be messing with Vail/Beta software, when 2008 R2 is out and stable.

It's stable, it's the same x64 NT platform, and I don't have to trash/reinstall my server to reinstall the full version of WHS v2 when it's released.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:38:36 +0000, unionjack72 wrote:

As a member of a another site I can get a copy of 2008 Server R2 for free,

What site? If you're referring to either Technet or MSDN you might want to
    read the end use license agreements for those sites before you assume that
    you can use the "free" software however you wish.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    Terminal:  What most people have to be before consenting to see a doctor.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Well license issues aside, although I appreciate the input, would Server 2008 R2 be a better choice over Vail at this point.

Aside from a little less user freindly config I assume, it seems like it might make a better solution.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:40 PM
  • So I'm still having issues with folder/shares being full, which I'm not sure why since there is 65Gb left in the storage pool. …

It sounds like you could have encountered a bug, but to be honest, it doesn't really matter. Microsoft is removing Drive Extender (announced over a month ago), so storage management is going to change significantly.

As for what Windows Home Server offers above Windows Server 2008 R2, off the top of my head:

• client backup and bare metal restore
    • server backup and bare metal restore (this tech is part of Windows Server 2008 R2, but Microsoft is adding wizards to make it a little easier)
    • media handling, including good DLNA support (for some definition of the terms "good" and "DLNA", because the DLNA landscape isn't exactly unified)
    • central monitoring of things like AV status, firewall, etc. (as reported through the Windows Security Center)
    • A simpler interface for the thngs you really need to do with your server, and some smarts to help make sure you won't need to spend time on things you don't really need to do.
    • An extensible framework to allow third parties to bring their own solutions to the table. Look at all the add-ins there are for Windows Home Server V1 …

As for MSDN and Technet, their license agreements prohibit production use. While Microsoft is unlikely to chase you (an individual) down for violating this, there's a question of ethics as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:00 PM