none
Remote Acces shared folders, subfolder makes me unable to acces a folder RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Web interface (remote access) i got a problem with a couple of folders.
    If a folder contains a subfolder i can not access it but get the message:
    "Remote Access Error
    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error.
    To fix this error, please try the following:
    -> Click here to refresh this page
    -> Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again."

If i access a folder without a subfolder and i create one using the interface this same error comes up aswell.
    Not all the time that is what is strange, some of the premade folders have it and some of the self-made but not all of them.
    If i use Windows Explorer and delete the folder created by Remote Access, i can once again access the folder.

All the rights are maxed, even made a new user but no effect.
    Installed Powerpack 2 by the way, not sure if this problem would have occured without it.. haven't tried before that.
    What might had some effect: I made a folder using Windows explorer named MP3. Made a folder in WHS called MP3, then went back to explorer and set the MP3 folder to shared.. overwriting the share WHS made. This folder is located in a different position then the WHS-made folders.

Any idea what this can be? It's driving me nuts for the last few days and without subfolders WHS is not much use ofcourse.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:59 AM

Answers

What might had some effect: I made a folder using Windows explorer named MP3. Made a folder in WHS called MP3, then went back to explorer and set the MP3 folder to shared.. overwriting the share WHS made. This folder is located in a different position then the WHS-made folders.
    Windows Home Server is designed to be a simple, easy to use appliance for non-technical consumers. As such, the only administrative interface supplied is the Windows Home Server console, and the only normal administrative tasks you should perform, or should need to perform (assuming you only use your server in a supported fashion) can be done through the console, with no need for remote desktop or other means of logging in to the server directly.

You can try removing the MP3 share entirely, in both Windows Home Server and Explorer, and see if that clears up your issue. I don't know if it will or not; I suspect you've been using the desktop fairly regularly if you've created shares etc. outside of the console. But that's where I'd start.

If that doesn't clear the issue up, you may need to perform a server reinstallation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:24 AM

All replies

Windows Home Server is designed to be a simple, easy to use appliance for non-technical consumers. As such, the only administrative interface supplied is the Windows Home Server console, and the only normal administrative tasks you should perform, or should need to perform (assuming you only use your server in a supported fashion) can be done through the console, with no need for remote desktop or other means of logging in to the server directly.

You can try removing the MP3 share entirely, in both Windows Home Server and Explorer, and see if that clears up your issue. I don't know if it will or not; I suspect you've been using the desktop fairly regularly if you've created shares etc. outside of the console. But that's where I'd start.

If that doesn't clear the issue up, you may need to perform a server reinstallation.

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hmm... i got a theory now... it might be possible (need to check at home) that the folders causing problems are not located in the Shared Folders-folder as created by WHS.
    If i'm not mistaken the other folders are in the root or a different subdirectory.

Does that make sense?
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Hi,
    any interaction with Windows Explorer to share files is not supported. Also not supported: Accessing shares created that way via the Remote Access website.
    Also a shared folder created manually will not work with drive extender (and so miss functions like folder duplication, using of the total storage pool instead of only one disk) and may even badly interact with that functionality.
    Windows Home Server creates the folder in D:\shares and on other places. In D:\shares you will find only the folder hierarchy and tombstones pointing to the real location of the files on the disks. So it may well be, that you create a folder, which is assumed to be on a certain location - but in reality it is not there due to your manual actions. Also the file and share permissions will be messed up in this case.

Does this happen to each shared folder (also on default folders like Software) or only to those you created in Explorer? Can you find error messages in the event logs?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:30 AM
  • It wouldn't surprise me; what you're doing (manipulating the server shares outside of the console) is unsupported and known to cause problems. If you want a share, and you want Windows Home Server to interact with that share in any way, you should create and manage that share entirely within the Windows Home Server console.

Please go back and re-read my previous post; in general, using the product in a supported fashion means that you should have no need for access to the server desktop.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Thanks for reply both, will check that when i get home tonight.
    I was trying to work around the need to upload 1 terrabyte of files but this obviously isn't the way.
    Do i really have to use the upload function for every file and folder i want in the "database" ?

I asume that files inserted in the database like this can be accessed using the sharename eventho the fysical location might be somewhere else on the server (different harddisk for example)? So \\servername\mp3 makes me access all the files at once even if it's actually stored in different folders on different harddisks by WHS?

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Windows Home Server only uses a "database" for the backups of home computers. The files in the shares are just files in a filesystem on a disk. You could disconnect any disk from your server and connect it to another computer and the files on it would be accessible (albeit in a hidden folder). In an extreme server failure this may, in fact, be the only realistic option for recovering files.

So yes, you should access your server's shares through e.g. \\server\mp3. This will go through your server's network interface, which may not be as fast as one would want. With a very large volume of data you may want to put it on an external drive then connect the drive to your server, without adding it to the storage pool. Then log in through remote desktop (unsupported, so be careful) and copy from the external drive to your server's shares. When accessing the shares, use the shortcut to them on the server desktop; this accesses them through a UNC path, which will make sure that everything is working as expected.

In general, I think a good rule of thumb for how you use your server is to read the help files and the additional dicumentation available here. If you don't find it mentioned in some published bit of documentation it's probably "unsupported". In that case you should be very careful; there are a lot of familiar tools and techniques that can (as you've learned) cause issues with your server, some of them very severe. Anything related to security, the storage pool and shares, backups, or web access is likely to fall in the "hazardous" category. You can always come here to ask about something; we'll probably tell you it's unsupported, but we'll also usually tell you how to do it safely anyway.

Monday, April 20, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Ok.. i figured it out (with your help ofcourse :P ).
    It's actually quite simple, outside of the console you can make any folder/copy any file and access it from the interface... as long as you place it all in the Shares folder.
    I've created the main folder withing the interface (might not even be required) but the many subfolders i just copied underneath it, worked like a charm.

The idea to refer to a folder on a different drive was a silly one, didn't want to add the drive to the storage as it was a drive with data on it already. However i managed to copy it to a network drive, added the drive and then copied the stuff back to the server underneath the Shares folder which now was alot larger with the other drive added to it.
    Didn't realise WHS would create one large storage drive out of multiple drives.

Guess it was a matter of letting go of the reigns and let WHS take care of it, was trying to control things too much.
    So thanks once again!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:23 AM