Synctoy 2 x64 problem (disaster, really) syncing to a WHS share... RRS feed

• Question

• I use synctoy to keep my photos tree (Win7 RC upgrade box) synced to a share on a Windows Home Server box. This worked ok, but is slow. My pictures tree is large, 130k+ files, 350GB. Trying to solve the perf problem and a media streaming issue from teh Win7 box which I assumed was related to the size of the pictures tree...

I created a new share to hold an archive, moved (not copied) most of the content from the WHS pictures directory to the archive, and then created a new folder pair (sync action) pointing from my pictures directory to the new share. Started a sync off and went to bed. Woke up to see synctoy happily deleting the pictures in my local pictures directory. Slowly deleting them, but... as I slept, it deleted about 27k files from my local pictures dir tree. So I recovered files from a WHS backup :-). (I restored the whole tree to empty space on the WHS machine, and then used synctoy to push files from there back to my workstation's pictures tree. That worked fine. The two copies windiff as equivalent now except for less than 200 expected changes.)

But now, whenever I attempt to (preview) sync from the recovered pictures dir on my workstation to the archive on WHS, Synctoy volunteers to copy all of the files to the share. It's not recognizing that there are existing versions of almost all of the files on the file share... any ideas as to what's going on? I thought deleting and recreating the folder pairs might do the trick, but that didn't help. How can I force synctoy to recreate its database of the folder contents and actually do the compare again?

I'd rather not rethink my entire image processing and archival workflow...

Pre-emptive snarky comment: I know I'm crazy to be so lazy and let synctoy manage replication of the huge pictures tree... I may have to upgrade to integrate robocopy into my workflow.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:44 PM

All replies

• "I created a new share to hold an archive, moved (not copied) most of the content from the WHS pictures directory to the archive, and then created a new folder pair (sync action) pointing from my pictures directory to the new share. Started a sync off and went to bed. Woke up to see synctoy happily deleting the pictures in my local pictures directory. Slowly deleting them, but... as I slept, it deleted about 27k files from my local pictures dir tree. So I recovered files from a WHS backup :-). (I restored the whole tree to empty space on the WHS machine, and then used synctoy to push files from there back to my workstation's pictures tree. That worked fine. The two copies windiff as equivalent now except for less than 200 expected changes.)"

It seems like when you moved the files, you left the old sync pair active, and SyncToy saw your moved files, as files that were deleted on the old folder.  When seeing these, it assumed that it needed to delete the files at the other end.  If you were to repeat this set of actions, make sure that you delete your old folder pair, (the one pointing at the old location where your images used to be).

You can try deleting the *.dat files on your synctoy folders (ie if your pair is f:\left f:\right, there will be some SyncToy*.dat) hidden files in these two directories.  If you delete these files you will reset all the information for that store.
    Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:00 PM