Windows XP SP3 firewall turns off when I start up pc RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason , I get an error message that has an x saying windows may be vulnerable windows firewall is turned off. It vanishes and where it goes I have no idea. I go to check if fire wall is off and it is on. I tried running a full scan with virus scan and nothing it happens every time I load into windows.Please help I never had this problem before. I do not have a back up disc only have the license key for windows xp. It came preinstalled on my laptop. It just started acting up yesterday.I am thinking it is possibly a virus . I was using eset nod 32 version 4 ,then I tried Microsoft Windows new free anti-virus program and none of them found anything. I even had windows defender installed and it did not detect anything. I thought it was one of the browsers  I was using so I uninstalled it . I just use this computer for school work. I have alot of important saved research papers. So if you could help me on this one.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:11 AM

All replies

• Seems to be a bit of that going around.

1. Buy a big thumb drive and save your work.
    2. Download software from www.malwarebytes.org install and run update.
    3. Re-boot in safe mode and scan with malwarebytes.  Clean if required.
    4. Re-boot.
    5. In CMD run sfc /scannow.

I've got a system that started doing this.  It was infected with FalseAlert.Trojan and I removed it.  The system still says firewall is inactive, but it restarts and the system is clean and free from infection.

Hope this help.

PenZenMaster

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:02 AM