Invalid Certificate when accessing over the Internet, OK over LAN RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to access WHS over my LAN from my laptop via https, however trying it over the Internet gets a complaint of an invalid certificate. I am able to get through by clicking through the warning page, but that of course is a pain.  Obviously I'm using different URLs in the two cases and when I display the certificate details within IE it's clearly intended for the local URL used within the LAN.

Perhaps significant is that I already had a domain and so didn't set up a new one via Windows Live, etc. So, how do I get the correct certificate for accessing the WHS over the internet without getting the Big Red Warning?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Bill Cohagan
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• You'll find a blog post over here that will walk you through the steps. Note that there is no guarantee here; it's worked for others, but if you make a mistake at the wrong time it could be costly...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:42 PM

All replies

• If this isn't the Windows Live domain, then you don't have a signed security cert for your domain. You'd need to purchase one and install it yourself
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:56 PM
  • You'll find a blog post over here that will walk you through the steps. Note that there is no guarantee here; it's worked for others, but if you make a mistake at the wrong time it could be costly...
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Pay be in the wrong location but....

I have the all the relevant ports forward as needed BUT you can NOT access the server remotely outside of my network.  The remote access option says it can not get a connection so although all the relevant connections work fine internally, externally nothing.

If I change the port forward to a different IP address they all work fine - they are only blocked when pointed to the WHS IP.

I have seen else where on here people have had the same issue back in 2008 but there appears to be nothing since and it's now 2010 - so has anyone come up with a working solution / patch as yet ?

A while back it used to work - so it looks like its a patch or application which is causing the conflict.

I currently have SharePoint working internally but I really need to be able to access this externally - any help any one can provide would be most usefull.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:59 PM
  • You already have a thread going. Why not stick with that for now?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:56 PM

Ken

Thanks for the pointer to the blog post. It appears to have the information I need to cure the problem.

Bill

Bill Cohagan
    Friday, April 30, 2010 12:37 PM