WHS 2011 Domain homepage won't respond after a few days RRS feed

• Question

• The domain page yourname.homeserver.com stops responding after a few days. To fix this I have to turn the router access off and turn it back on. This will fix it but after a few days or a week if I try to log on to my server from work the page won't respond and I have to recycle the router off and turn it on again. I am at my wits end as I will be hitting the road in a few months and I need to get all the bugs worked out by then. I won't be able to simply come home to reset the router access every time.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:30 PM

Answers

• Not sure what you are actually saying: "To fix this I have to turn the router access off and turn it back on" & "I have to recycle the router off and turn it on again". Are these meant to be the same statement i.e. it is a power cycling of your router or are you disabling remote access and then re-enabling, or both? If it is power cycling, then it may not have anything to do with WHS. Suggest you run ShieldsUp at www.grc.com from a client computer in a working and non-working state of your home page to see if there is a change in open ports (80 & 443 need to be open).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:10 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you are actually saying: "To fix this I have to turn the router access off and turn it back on" & "I have to recycle the router off and turn it on again". Are these meant to be the same statement i.e. it is a power cycling of your router or are you disabling remote access and then re-enabling, or both? If it is power cycling, then it may not have anything to do with WHS. Suggest you run ShieldsUp at www.grc.com from a client computer in a working and non-working state of your home page to see if there is a change in open ports (80 & 443 need to be open).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:10 PM
  • I'm sorry. I was away from the server when I wrote that. I meant the remote access under server settings.

When I try to log in from work I get "this page can't be displayed"

To get it working again I have to go to the server and either do a repair or turn remote access off and then turn it back on. This will fix the remote login issue until it happens again a few days later.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Suggest you try the ShieldsUp route.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:44 AM
  • What is the ShieldsUp? I am new to WHS 2011.
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:26 PM
  • See my first comment above - it checks for open Ports needed by WHS.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:28 PM