Great tool, great toy, great joy. (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Jodok posted on 02-13-2009 3:20 PM

This excellent piece of software has enormous potential. All the didactical issues aside, like bringing young people into music that  (like my daughter) are NOT natural born talents, it is a quick and inspiring feedbacker. Not the beef to a musician, but pepper and salt in one box. It cannot replace creativity and no artist is in search of a utility to perform such an odd task, but it actually can expand existing conceptual prerequisites.

I would pay ten times the price, if it had a somewhat more parametric user interface and in general would reflect nowadays audio production realities. I am sitting next to my Digidesign ICON console while writing this. Don't worry, they don't compete. Why not launch a 'pro' version?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• dmorris replied on 02-13-2009 8:45 PM

Thanks for your feedback!  While we have no specific plans to do a "pro" version, we're collecting as many suggestions as we can and could definitely envision something like what you're talking about.  Feel free to post suggestions here or over in the "musicians' corner" forum.

But with that said, don't underestimate the value of Songsmith as a simple scratchpad that fits nicely into a more sophiscated studio.  I _prefer_ that using Songsmith in my home studio doesn't require dealing with pro audio devices and all their associated complexity, or large and complex hosts.  I just fire up Songsmith and sing into a simple microphone running into my built-in sound card, and only when I'm ready to move on to the next level with a song do I fire up my studio gear and software.  This is a win in my opinion, and keeping Songsmith simple and reliable was important to us in designing the application.

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith!

-Dan

• Jodok replied on 02-13-2009 9:53 PM

• jamstarrz replied on 02-14-2009 5:25 PM

Dan,interesting.I asked sometime ago at a forum where I'm a frequent visitor if  anyone knew of a software that one can just sing into and it add the mustic? but I guess at that time there was none.So my thinking was on the right track.

Again I have not tried SongSmith yet except to install once I get a Pc. mic.I'll give my feed, thanks Dan for your innovation.I'll be here reading and learning.