none
Are These The Same in Some Ways? RRS feed

Answers

• The core OS for Windows Home Server is a version of Windows Server 2003, so yes, they're very similar. WHS layers a lot of stuff on top, in order to provide a seamless expansion of storage and the other neat features of the product, and in order to insulate a non-technical user from the complexities of the underlying OS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:51 AM
  • JSHollis said:

So is it safe to install a software program that states it's safe for Windows Server 2003 or does it need to state Windows Home Server?

Hello,
    installing applications on Windows Home Server besides Add-Ins made for WHS is not supported and may also be in conflict with the licensed usage of WHS.
    You did also not mention, what kind of software, so the answer will be a very generic one:
    While installation of Windows Server 2003 compatible applications on a desktop level will usually work, some applications may interact with the server in a way,  that the WHS core components are getting in trouble. This may be caused by the fact, that C: is limited to 20 GByte in the default setup, and that writing to disks in the storage pool should only be controlled by WHS. Virus scanners should be designed specially for WHS. 
    So as long as your application is able to store it's data via shares, things may be fine for many applications, although folder duplication may get in trouble, if files are kept open all the time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• The core OS for Windows Home Server is a version of Windows Server 2003, so yes, they're very similar. WHS layers a lot of stuff on top, in order to provide a seamless expansion of storage and the other neat features of the product, and in order to insulate a non-technical user from the complexities of the underlying OS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:51 AM
  • I did an install using Virtual PC. I noticed that the installer is a hybrid of Windows 2003 Server and also Small Business Server. Of course, Small Business Server is just Windows Server 2003 with a lot of extra software installed.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:48 PM
  • So is it safe to install a software program that states it's safe for Windows Server 2003 or does it need to state Windows Home Server?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:11 AM
  • JSHollis said:

So is it safe to install a software program that states it's safe for Windows Server 2003 or does it need to state Windows Home Server?

Hello,
    installing applications on Windows Home Server besides Add-Ins made for WHS is not supported and may also be in conflict with the licensed usage of WHS.
    You did also not mention, what kind of software, so the answer will be a very generic one:
    While installation of Windows Server 2003 compatible applications on a desktop level will usually work, some applications may interact with the server in a way,  that the WHS core components are getting in trouble. This may be caused by the fact, that C: is limited to 20 GByte in the default setup, and that writing to disks in the storage pool should only be controlled by WHS. Virus scanners should be designed specially for WHS. 
    So as long as your application is able to store it's data via shares, things may be fine for many applications, although folder duplication may get in trouble, if files are kept open all the time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:12 AM