AHCI - Okay to use with correct drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• I will be setting up a new server for RC1.  I bought an Intel Q965 based board and would like to enable AHCI for my generation II SATA drives.  Has anyone had problems with AHCI and Windows Home Server?

It seems like Native Command Queueing and the advanced power management features that become availble with AHCI enabled would be benificial, but I thought I had better ask first.  I am aware that I will most likely need to instal the Intel AHCI / RAID drivers during setup.

Thanks,

Chad

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:53 PM

All replies

• For me with an Intel 945 based board "Intel 945GPM" AHCI did not work with my Seagate 500gb SATA drive. I consistently received a blue screen stop errors after I loaded "F6" the drivers. I had to change the drive options in the bios to Manual, Legacy and IDE.

Bryan

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

I seen many motherboards having problem to install clean OS within AHCI sata, as Bryan said, setting the BIOS to IDE or enhanced IDE, then after the OS installed, install the controller driveres, resetting AHCI back in bios solve the issue.

And some motherboards will even boot with AHCI option as I found out with some ABIT brand.

My best.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:38 PM
  • My Abit 965 based WHS installed and runs fine with AHCI and SATAII drives.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:14 PM