none
How to Send timesheet (not tasks) to two different Timesheet managers in one shot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

my scenario is : one resouce is working on more than two projects.i want send time sheet to both peoples with their respective details

I am using project server 2007.In my company one resoure is working on many projects.They want to send their timesheet(not tasks) to their respective project mangers at a time.Now in my research at a time we can send to only one Time sheet Manger after that he can send to some other.but i want in one shot.I want to start customization of project server.Is it right way? if yes where i have to start.How to customize project server...

can any one please help me...

Thanks in advance

sukku

• Changed type sukku's Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:27 PM
    • Edited by sukku's Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:26 PM
    • Changed type sukku's Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:26 PM
    • Changed type sukku's Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:58 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 1:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Timesheets and Task updates are two separate entities by default.
    Timesheets goes to the timesheet manager (normally the resources direct Managers like a line manager), which could be approved by multiple approvers but not at once, it works by disabling "Fixed Approval Routing" from the timesheets settings page under administration. So you can set up your system to get first approval of a team lead, then of his manager and as a last step by their director. By design, a timesheet manager is independent of project manager (it can be the same is some cases). Task updates go to the appropriate project manager.

Every resource can only have one timesheet manager, so if you want your project managers to approve hours for their own projects, you will have to use tasks update, I am afraid.

Does that mnake sense?
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:07 PM
  • By the way: why have you changed type from question to discussion? It is a question, and questions attract more attention in general.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hi Barbara Henhapl,

First of all Thanks for your reply,

Is there a way to track time for each task in project server.so that individual project manager can see how many hours they worked for their project tasks...

Regards,

sukku

• Edited by sukku's Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

that's exactly what you can do in "My Tasks". Make sure that your tracking method is set to time per period in Server Settings - Task Settings and Display. Any update from this page will be send to appropriate project manager. Your users are also able to import actual work from timesheet, if they have already entered it there. If Actual Work is entered in My Tasks and resource hits "Submit all" or submit selected after selecting some tasks, their PM will have to approve it in Approval Center.

Let me know if you need some more explanation!
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Barbara Henhapl,

Actually i am new to project server.Can you please explain me step by step process how to configure task timings .so that it  will be very helpfull for me.And if you have documents or urls can you please share those to me.

Thanks in Advance,

sukku

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Hi Sukku,

for configuring task tracking, you can follow the section "Set up task status"in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/set-up-timesheets-and-task-status-HA010068094.aspx. If you want your resources to report time per day, select this "Hours of work done per period" as tracking method.

There is some more information regarding difference between Task and Timesheets described in section "How do the two types of tracking work together?" in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/overview-of-timesheets-and-task-status-HA010146635.aspx.

If a PM published a project, all tasks will be listed in "My Tasks". After entering hours, resource can submit these entries to PMs. Every update will be sent to the appropriate PM. PM has to approve the updates in Approval Center and publish his plan afterwards to make updates available in PWA!

Let us know if you get stuck at any point!
    Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:41 PM
  •  "So you can set up your system to get first approval of a team lead, then of his manager and as a last step by their director."

This is exactly what I am trying to find.  Where can we set this up?

Friday, February 19, 2016 6:49 PM