Ignore installed hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• next week I am going to install WHS2011 onto one of the computers in my lab.  It is a machine that has several hard drives in it each configured with a different operating system and I boot to whichever hard drive I want to run at the moment for the job I'm doing. I put a blank 250 GB drive into one of the bays to install WHS2011 but I don't want it to do anything with any of the rest of the hard drives on the computer. By that I mean, I don't want it altering them in any way to turn them into data drives or anything like that that would stop their normal functionality.  If WHS2011 requires a separate data drive from the boot drive, I can install that into another bay but I don't want to have to disable all of the other OS drives.  Does anyone know if this is a potential problem or can you exclude drives from WHS2011 so that it will ignore them? Thanks, Paul
    Friday, March 30, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• Of course, not having the other drives connected when you install WHS is the safest way, but WHS should only use the drive onto which you install it. It will create 2 partitions, one for itself (C:) and a data drive on the same physical hard disk (D:). The boot files should be on that disk so you will need to select which of your HDDs to boot from using the BIOS functionality.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Paul Yancey Sunday, July 28, 2019 11:41 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:18 PM

All replies

• Of course, not having the other drives connected when you install WHS is the safest way, but WHS should only use the drive onto which you install it. It will create 2 partitions, one for itself (C:) and a data drive on the same physical hard disk (D:). The boot files should be on that disk so you will need to select which of your HDDs to boot from using the BIOS functionality.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Paul Yancey Sunday, July 28, 2019 11:41 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:18 PM
  • thanks for getting back to me. when I have all of the supporting technology in place, I'm going to add a 12 TB eSata raid stack as the real data drive but I'm assuming that I will have no trouble adding that to WHS2011.  Correct? 
    Friday, March 30, 2012 7:53 PM