Install Issue: unable to find suitable version of SQL CE - RESOLVED RRS feed

• Question

• (Sorry for reposting, but I wanted to consolidate information pertaining to the SQL install issue to it's own thread)

Issue: 

When installing LiveMesh.cab on a Windows Mobile 6.x device, install fails with the following error window:

Window Title = Unsatisfied Dependency
    Window Text = Live Mesh is unable to find suitable version of SQL CE on this device.  Unable to install Live Mesh.

Repro Steps:

1. Download LiveMesh.cab from http://m.mesh.com/ site or http://m.mesh.com/install/wm6/LiveMesh.cab
    2. Attempt to install

Attempted Resolution:

1. INEFFECTIVE - Install the latest SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 SP1 CORE and REPL packages from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FCE9ABBF-F807-45D6-A457-AB5615001C8F&displaylang=en
    2. INEFFECTIVE - Install SQL CE 2.0
    3. EFFECTIVE - Install SQL CE 3.1 (AKA SQL Server 2005 Mobile) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E9AA3F8D-363D-49F3-AE89-64E1D149E09B&displaylang=en
      1. You need to install both the CORE package and the REPL package, and Soft Reset before attempting to install LiveMesh
      2. After MSI is installed, the files can be found here for ARM devices: 
        1. x86 systems: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\wce400\armv4
        2. x64 systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\wce400\armv4
      3. Copy the 2 cab (not the dev one) files to your device and run them to install

Possible Commonalities and related information:

1. UNRELATED - Possibly happening to mostly 6.1 installed clients
    2. UNRELATED - "Cooked Roms" may be prevalent.   If SQL CE other than 3.1 were included in ROM, it could be the cause, not that it's "Cooked"
    3. CONFIRMED - SQL CE 3.5 does NOT work with Live Mesh Mobile

Please post any info below and I'll update this post to help others not waste time, and hopefully find a resolution.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• Installing SQL 2005 Mobile (CE 3.1) Now lets me install LiveMesh.cab

I updated the top of the post with the link to the SDK

I am sure they will update for those who need SQL CE v3.5sp1 hopefully
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:39 PM

All replies

• I am having this exact issue. I even attempted the same resolution got the same results. 

I can confirm that I also meet all the commonalities.

Device:     TITAN (XV6800)
    Windows Mobile Version:     6.1 Pro
    CE OS Version:     5.2.20275 (Build 20275.1.3.3 dcd)
    Processor: MSM7500-400MHz
    ROM version:   dcd 3.2.6
    Radio version:  3.42.50
    SQL Installed:     Yes (SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 SP1 CORE and REPL)
    Kitchen Used:   DCD Titan Kitchen 3.2.6
    • Edited by trogger01 Friday, October 31, 2008 4:11 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:09 PM
  • same boat... any word on how to fix this?
    Ben
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I was mistaken in my previous answer where I assumed installing the repl cab will fix the problem. My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this caused (especially for those of you who spent time installing the repl cab).

I can confirm two things for now:
    1. It only happens on "cooked ROMs" since they don't come with SQL installed in some cases
    2. SQL 3.5 doesn't work.

A member on our team is working to find a deterministic resolution for this ASAP. We should have something to report in the next half an hour.

Thanks,
    Archis
    A Jedi in the making!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Archis,

Can you share with us what criteria the dependency check is looking for?  Is it a particular version of SQL CE installed?   This would help us config devices to meet that criteria, but currently it is unknown to us.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:34 PM
  • The criteria is simple - we simply try to perform some low-cost operation that we are sure we should be able to perform if SQL exists (the operation is exactly copied from what Mesh will try to do once it is installed). This ensures the setup checks functional availability of a compatible version of SQL.

A Jedi in the making!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Archis,

Ahh, makes sense.  I thought you might be looking for a pre-req by checking a file version, which I could not find in the CAB file, so this explains that.

Can you share with us what version of SQL CE was installed on devices you tested this with that were successful?

Would is be advantageous for us to uninstall SQL CE 3.5sp1, and install SQL CE 3.1 or other? 
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Thanks to everyone who's tried to use the Live Mesh for Mobile client! While most users were able to successfully use the client, phones with cooked 6.1 ROMs that had SQLCE version 3.5 had a problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We're actively working on a fix, and will have an update available shortly.
    Thanks again for using Live Mesh and for reporting this problem.
    -santosh
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hello everyone,
    Thanks for the efforts in getting this working.
    Just a point of information...
    It isn't just cooked ROMs that aren't working.  I have an Ipaq 214 with the original ROM installed and it still has the SQL problem.
    Best regards,
    Greg
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I've just installed SQL CE 2.0 and get the same error meesage as I did before when trying to install the Mesh Client.

I'm running a cooked ROM (CRC's WM 6.1 v13.0) which is CE OS 5.2.20270 (Build 20270.1.0.0) on an HTC Tytn (T-Mobile Vario II).

Guess it's just sit tight and wait for a fix.....
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Installing SQL 2005 Mobile (CE 3.1) Now lets me install LiveMesh.cab

I updated the top of the post with the link to the SDK

I am sure they will update for those who need SQL CE v3.5sp1 hopefully
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:39 PM
  • OK, here's the part where I sounds stupid.....

I've run the .msi file for the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition Developer Software Development Kit. Where do I find the .cab to install something onto my phone? I had thought that it would be an .msi that installed to the phone via WMDC but so far nothing has changed on my handset and the Mesh Client .cab still won't install
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  
    1. You need to install both the CORE package and the REPL package
    2. After MSI is installed, the files can be found here for ARM devices: 
      1. x86 systems: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\wce400\armv4
      2. x64 systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\wce400\armv4

(I updated thread too)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Jef K you are a hero.

All installed and all up and running (so far!)

Thanks

--Edit--

Knew I had spoken too soon;

Client installed, signed in, client attempted to add my device to my mesh, was looking for device identifier and then failed: "device was not added to your mesh"

Looking here now:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMeshMobile/thread/c7ce844c-a4e3-4be4-838d-1ebdca5986e7
    Friday, October 31, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Thanks Jef K!

Friday, October 31, 2008 7:14 PM
  • So after getting it installed,  I was able to login, and start syncing to my Storage Card without a hitch!  So far I am very impressed :)

Friday, October 31, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

Anyone still having this problem please see this sticky thread.

Thank you,

Ben.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:49 PM
  • Thank you for the update. The .cab installed correctly. However, it says that I cannot add my mobile phone to mesh because it is limited to a number of users. Bummer! I hope you open it up to more soon. I've been using Mesh since day 1.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Anyone want to post the 3.1 cabs someplace?
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I've added the cabs to my Skydrive here.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Awesome...

Thanks!

-Mc
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Verrified this solution works properly on HTC Apache with WM6.1. Thank you so much.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 8:40 PM