Trojan/desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I ended up on a site that I was trying to copy a link off of and I believe that is how I got the virus.  A window popped up asking me to agree and install THEIR anti-virus.  I was able to remove that window however I have this picture on my desktop that I cannot remove.  It says that "WARNING SPYWARE DETECTED ON YOUR COMPUTER!  INSTALL AN ANTIVIRUS OR SPYWARE REMOVER TO CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER."

Two hours after I realized that this picture was on my desktop and there was no way to remove it I downloaded OneCare.  OneCare was able to detect 4 harmful programs however I still can't get the picture removed from my desktop.  2 programs show removed, the other two are just quarantined.  I need assistance as to getting rid of it.  Unfortunately I don't have an external hard drive to back my files into.  I'm afraid of logging into my computer for fear that they can get my information.

Please help!  Thank you in advance!

Sharyn

Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Sharyn, it sounds like Win Antivirus Pro 2008 or a variation of it. Try the removal instructions here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-win-antivir-antivirus-2008 or contact One Care support for help with removal. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Hi JimR1-I just tried to do the automatic download for win-antivi-2008 removal but it gave me an pop up message of stack overflow 14 and stack overflow 13.  i don't know what that means.  the security toolbar alerted me that a download was about to proceed but i didn't continue with it because of the messages i received before that.  if these messages are common let me know and I can click ok for the download.

Thanks again in advance!

Sharyn

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:13 AM
  • I'm not sure why you would get a stack overflow message on that site but you can download the file here - http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html 

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:23 AM
  • JimR1,

Thank you so much for the direct link!  I was able to perform the download without any problems and it found 25 infected programs.  After I restarted my computer the desktop picture was gone!  Is it safe to say that I won't have to worry about my information being used?

This was great advice and I'm glad I was able to get this problem solved!!

Thank you!!!!!

Sharyn

Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:20 PM
  • I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the malware issue. Your data should be safe as typically Win Antivirus Pro is ransomware ( it tries to sell you a solution for the problems it caused ) rather than a data miner. Now that the malware problem is behind you perhaps this would be a good time to consider a backup plan. ☺

Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:00 PM
  • What if we can't get to the internet on that computer?

I had the same issue - though I wasn't home and my husband paid for AntimalwareGuard.com because he recd a pop up that our computer was not safe. I cannot access internet explorer, my active desktop is off, and i get pop ups from PersonalAntispy that will not go away. I can't even get to the control panel to uninstall them. I have turn the patch windows-kb890830-v2.2 and it says it has removed harmful files, but when i restart, the same pop ups come up and get stuck... any help???

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Restart your computer and right after post ( beep ) press the F8 key repeatedly. You will see a Windows startup menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking. Download Malwarebytes Antimalware - http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html and save it to your desktop. Restart your computer normally and run Malwarebytes.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:33 AM