Please advise b4 I do anything stupid!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Okay. I have done the stupid thing.... I didn't do the latest backup before I did the server re-install. Doh!

I was running out of SATA connectors so I changed MB on my WHS. Also I had a lot of unwanted softwares loaded so I decided to do server re-install which I have done many times with same MB successfully.

First I pulled all non-pooled HDs off WHS. Then I changed ASUS P5N-E SLI MB with Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I turn it on and after awhile WHS booted up with errors in hardware profile (of course) but I could see all the share data and it looked okay.

I did server re-install and had to attend to my baby's needs and by the time I came back, I had a system error message.

I looks like WHS was installed but I now have C, D, E drives where E drive list all the files I want to save but I can't access them. I just want to be able to save the photos/2008 and /2009 folders. I do have others saved.. :( My wife is going to kill me if I can't fix this.)

Can you please suggest next step so I can save the share folders? There is no need to save the backup folders.

I did read this article on migrating. [url="http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System]

I don't think my situation applies here because I don't have access to my shares.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    the procedure is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Dkim2008 Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:07 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Run on the server (unsupported):

xcopy /V \\localhost\share\folder\*.* \\localhost\othershare\otherfolder

Or use robocopy, which is much more flexible.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the procedure is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Olaf,

Thank you for that information. I think that's what I needed. I didn't realized that files are saved under hidden 'DE' directories.

One last question:

"Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!"

What do you mean by that?

Is that mean I shouldn't run a command like xcopy -v J:\ED\shares\photos\2009\*.* D:\shares\photos\2009\ ?

David
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:41 PM
  • That's correct. All operations against files and folders in the server shares should pe performed on the shares, not on the file system behind the shares.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:53 PM
  •  Is there way to verify copying by dragging files in explorer? I use xcopy because of "-v".

"Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location"

I am thinking this is only possible by dragging the folders you want.

David
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Run on the server (unsupported):

xcopy /V \\localhost\share\folder\*.* \\localhost\othershare\otherfolder

Or use robocopy, which is much more flexible.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:38 PM