OCS 2007 Standard Deployment - Three way IM (Conferencing) not working RRS feed

• Question

• This is driving me nuts!

I'm trying to get OCS Standard Edition working. I've followed the deployment guide (twice) and I've got IM working between two users.When I try to add a third users Communicator 2007 fails to set up the conference. Live meeting doesn't work either:

I get the following logged on the OCS Standard Server:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OCS User Services
    Event Category: (1006)
    Event ID: 32052
    Date:  03/09/2008
    Time:  10:43:41
    User:  N/A
    Computer: <HOSTNAME>
    Description:
    A C3P request sent to an Mcu timed-out. Conferencing requests for this Mcu type will be retried but if this error continues to occur conferencing functionality will be affected.

Mcu Url: https://<FQDN>:444/LiveServer/MCUFactory/
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the Mcu is provisioned and functioning correctly. If any network related errors are reported by the Mcu ensure that they are resolved.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: OCS MCU Infrastructure
    Event Category: (1022)
    Event ID: 61030
    Date:  03/09/2008
    Time:  10:44:20
    User:  N/A
    Computer: <HOSTNAME>

Description:
    The process RtcHost(992) did not receive a certificate from the client.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:53 AM

Answers

• Did you read this topic?

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=57&PageID=1&PostID=1878497

Go to your certificate, I used IIS and right clicked my website and hit properties, went to "Directory Security" select View cert:  You need to go to "details" tab and select "edit properties" Enable all purposes for this cert needs to be ticked.

This setting needs to be on all intermedia certs and parent certs, So after you verify your purchased cert has enabled all purposes go to the "certification path" tab and work your way up the tree selecting "view cert" and checking the details on each...

We have godaddy so there are 4 including the one we've purchased and all intermediate, The very top of our tree was the problem, so in our case I selected the Certification path tab, highlighted the top most cert "calicert class 2 policy validation authority" and selected "view certificate" went to details tab, and hit "edit properties" checked the radio button "enable all purposes for this certificate"

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:43 PM

All replies

• Did you read this topic?

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=57&PageID=1&PostID=1878497

Go to your certificate, I used IIS and right clicked my website and hit properties, went to "Directory Security" select View cert:  You need to go to "details" tab and select "edit properties" Enable all purposes for this cert needs to be ticked.

This setting needs to be on all intermedia certs and parent certs, So after you verify your purchased cert has enabled all purposes go to the "certification path" tab and work your way up the tree selecting "view cert" and checking the details on each...

We have godaddy so there are 4 including the one we've purchased and all intermediate, The very top of our tree was the problem, so in our case I selected the Certification path tab, highlighted the top most cert "calicert class 2 policy validation authority" and selected "view certificate" went to details tab, and hit "edit properties" checked the radio button "enable all purposes for this certificate"

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:43 PM
  • FIXED!

I didn't see that post, even after a LOT of searching. Blindness brought on by frustation maybe.

You're a star! Thank you.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Chris,

I work for a small business which is looking to setup OCS for only IM and I have a few questions

I.  If it will be used for only IM why use 07.  Does LCS 05 provide the capability?

2. If I do use OCS 07 Standard how many servers are needed.  Will they also need to be independent?  CAn we use a Virtual Server?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Joe

I never used LCS 05 so can't really comment. However IM in OCS for more than two participants is actually treated as a conference from what I've seen.

If you use Standard Ed. you will need 1 server if it's for internal use only. If you want to provide IM federation you'll need to deploy an edge server also. This must be a different server, you can't deploy the edge server role on the same machine with Standard Ed., you'll need Enterprise Ed. for this. However, if you use VMs then you could have them on the same physial server I guess - depends on your server spec and traffic.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:43 PM
  • I received more info about the project today.  The goal is to impliment OCS enterprise.  The OCS server will be a virtual server on a server which has 4GB of RAM.  SQL 05 will be on a different server and we hope to have POC testing with IM completed by end of week.  Can you offer any suggestions regardung potentail problems?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Only that OCS is never supported on Virtual Environment

But in your POC that should not be a problem as you are probably only using a limited number of users and only IM and presence will be tested.

As soon as you want to test audio & video conferencing then you might run into problems

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Question: How on earth does OCS know it's running in a VM? If that VM is a domain joined there's no difference surely.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:44 AM
  • It's not that the software 'knows' whether it's on a physical or virtual host, as it functions the same.  The 'support' statements boils down to whether Microsoft will official support that particular deployment as there can be problems inherent to vitalization (e.g. CPU cycle/time sync issues, performance overhead affecting time-sensitive audio/video communications, etc)
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:52 PM
  • It should not be a problem with 3 users setup for the IM testing.  Granted we do have less then 100employees and virtual may not be the way to go when it goes live

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Hi am having the same problem with my ocs deployment but even after checking the certificate is was assigned to all services i still a problem with 3 way audio and video conferencing.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:12 PM