Unable to stream media to WP7 via Connector RRS feed

• Question

• If I use the WP7 Connect RC I can see my media libraries and all the titles available.  I understand not being able to stream video that doesn't have CODEC support on WP7.  (It would be great if a transcoding process could be done, BTW.)  But none of my audio files play either and it doesn't tell me there is an unsupported format.  It looks like it is about to play but it just hangs.  This happens with MP3 and WAV files.  The live tile doesn't seem to work either.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• Update:  My live tile is working now.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:44 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  I do get the error about unsupported CODEC when playing videos, but with music, it stalls for a second like it is going to play, but then nothing.  These a regular mp3 files that play fine from the web site.  It does not even show the length of the song.  I get the album art, name of the song, all of that, but it will not play.  My live tile has also never worked.  Have had this installed for a couple of weeks now and no live tile action.  So basically, I can get notifications and look at pictures.  Can't really show that off to anyone!  I am running the HTC HD7 on the latest build.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:00 PM
  • I also get exactly the same symptoms when trying to stream music to my WP7.

The music library, is made available, the artwork and music list is made available, but I cannot actually play any song.

I have two servers in my house. The WHS2011 which services port 443 secure traffic, and  a Web server that services all port 80 (browsing) traffic. My router directs the traffic accordingly.

Looking at the logs of the two servers after attempting to stream music indicates the problem.

All traffic relating to searching for the song, and the artwork from the WP7 use secure port 443 as expected. The actually "play" request is forwarded by the WP7 on port 80, and so is directed to the incorrect server. The request goes to my Web server and not my WHS2011 server, and so fails with a 404 error that is not displayed on the WP7 phone.

I have raised this as an issue on this forum, but have received no answers or advice.

If you stream to a remote PC with a the silverlight browser window, the streaming works perfectly, as it only uses port 443 for communications.

It is obviously an error with the WP7 app. This happened with both the RC and the RTM.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:17 AM
  • It is obviously an error with the WP7 app. This happened with both the RC and the RTM.

... except that the media streaming and remote access features of WHS 2011 are documented as requiring ports 80, 443, and 4125.  (See router setup: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx) If you are redirecting port 80 to another server, then is it really the app's fault for attempting to use what it thinks should be available...?

I agree it would be nice to be able to configure an alternate port, though I am not sure how common your scenario will be...

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:18 PM
  • It is obviously an error with the WP7 app. This happened with both the RC and the RTM.

... except that the media streaming and remote access features of WHS 2011 are documented as requiring ports 80, 443, and 4125.  (See router setup: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx) If you are redirecting port 80 to another server, then is it really the app's fault for attempting to use what it thinks should be available...?

I agree it would be nice to be able to configure an alternate port, though I am not sure how common your scenario will be...

I don't think it is unusual for the ISP to block port 80.  I know Charter does.  It absolutely must be configurable IMHO.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:11 PM
  •   It absolutely must be configurable IMHO.

I'm sorry, but if your ISP blocks port 80 (not unheard of, though mine doesn't do so fortunately), that almost certainly means that running an externally-accesible server on your network is a violation of their Terms of Service/Acceptable Use Policy. Microsoft is not responsible for, and probably wants to stay very far away from, anything that looks like an attempt to subvert or work around a technical limitation of this sort.

So no, Microsoft probably shouldn't make this configurable by the end user, lest they be drawn into lawsuit after lawsuit under the "deepest pockets" theory.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Actually, not port 4125. 80 and 443 are all that Windows home server 2011 requires.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:58 PM
  • While you might be accurate in the Terms of Service in regards to port 80 access (which therfore trumps any argument) I will say that the intent was to not have commecial services (i.e. servers) being run on residential accounts.

Verizon blocks port 80 on my Fios service which now explains why the streaming music didn't work when I tried it for the first time today.

I work for Proliphix  (www.proliphix.com) which makes IP based thermostats with our own integrated web server and we allow changing the server port just for this exact reason.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:24 AM
  • While you might be accurate in the Terms of Service in regards to port 80 access (which therfore trumps any argument) I will say that the intent was to not have commecial services (i.e. servers) being run on residential accounts.

Verizon blocks port 80 on my Fios service which now explains why the streaming music didn't work when I tried it for the first time today.

I work for Proliphix  (www.proliphix.com) which makes IP based thermostats with our own integrated web server and we allow changing the server port just for this exact reason.

Does streaming Lady Gaga seem like a corporate activity?  It's not like the WHS connector is going to be used by businesses to sell their wares.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:59 PM
  • The documentation for the port setup for WHS seems reasonably clear to me in the use of the port allocations.

1. HTTP is the protocol that your Web browser uses to view Web pages. You use this protocol to view your default Web page for Windows Home Server.

2. HTTPS is the protocol that your Web browser uses to view secure Web pages. You use this protocol to view your Remote Access Web page for Windows Home Server.

I interpret this to mean that HTTPS (port 443) will be used for all Remote Access Web page access for Windows Home Server, and this should include streaming the music. Why should there be a variation for the streaming so that it not be secure? It certainly is secure when streaming to a remote PC and every other remote operation.

HTTP (port 80) is used according to the documentation only for the default web page, which then immediately switches to a secure port 443 communication. Port 80 is only required if a "session" with the WHS is started with a request that neglects to use HTTPS. I have never needed port 80 to operate WHS ever.

The WP7 never uses Port 80 for any communications with WHS except for the "play" , and this seems to be an "oversight" to me, as the transmission is meant to be secure and consistent with the operation of all other remote communications.

Can remote access to your WHS music be achieved on port 80 without signing in?

In any case, surely this is a security exposure issue? 

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Actually, not port 4125. 80 and 443 are all that Windows home server 2011 requires.

Ken, I believe port 4125 is used by RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)--at least, that's what Microsoft's router config page implies.  So while this port may not be needed for media streaming, it probably is required to support remote desktop through the router. 
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:49 AM

Ken, I believe port 4125 is used by RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)--at least, that's what Microsoft's router config page implies.  So while this port may not be needed for media streaming, it probably is required to support remote desktop through the router. 

Gary

That is not correct. Port 4125 is not required for WHS2011 for any of its functionality. The documentation to which you refer was written for WHS1.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:39 AM

The Remote Desktop proxy built into Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't use port 4125; the wiki page s old and written for Windows Home Server V1.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Gary

That is not correct. Port 4125 is not required for WHS2011 for any of its functionality. The documentation to which you refer was written for WHS1.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Ah great Ken, thanks for the clarification.

G

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I can assure you that 4125 is not required to RDP to machines on your network if you use the web page over HTTPS (443). This documentation is not correct as far as I can tell. The WHS is acting as an RDP gateway.

I do agree that requiring port 80 must be a mistake here as everything else except the actual play button works for the phone connecter and WHS in general. The only thing I can see that port 80 does is redirect you to the HTTPS page to login.

On another note, I have to say that MS has done a great job in repackaging 2008 R2 to fit this purpose.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:58 AM
  • The problem has not been resolved with "Mango" (Windows Phone 7.5).

Port 443 is still the port used for everything except the "PLAY" button for Music and videos, which for some inexplicable reason uses port 80 for the play request, and in my situation is routed to the incorrect server as a consequence. (This does not happen with remote access from a PC using Silverlight)

Thus, it is impossible for me to play music or videos from the Windows Phone "My Server" application, but it is possible to list the media and art work, and do all other functions. like enable and disable users, or reset their passwords etc. Also, the display of the status of the devices being automatically backed up is available and working, as is the description and resources of these devices.

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Why would you expect anything to have changed? Mango isn't involved, except as the platform on which the phone app runs; this requires updates to the phone app and to the Windows Home Server 2011 add-in, which haven't happened I guess (don't have a WP7 phone, so I couldn't say from personal knowledge). 

Monday, October 10, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Ken, I was hopeful there would be a change because the underlying network infrastructure was upgraded to IE9 on "Mango" with Windows Phone.

However, not only does direct browsing still not allow you to play media from WHS2011 with the new IE9, but the "My Server" application is also unchanged and continues attempting to use port 80 for "PLAY" in a supposed secure environment.

This is doubly disconcerting when you discover that IE10 with the new "Windows 8" Metro interface has "lost" the ability to "stream" media  from WHS2011 as well. Soon I will not be able to remotely stream any Media from my WHS. This is ridiculous for a Home "Server".

I naively thought that I should I should update my previous correspondence on the status of attempting to stream media from my WHS2011 to my Windows Phone in the vain hope that someone from Microsoft would take an interest and be concerned that a WHS cannot remotely stream, which surely should be basic functionality?

Monday, October 10, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Specifically regarding Windows 8/IE 10/Metro integrating with Windows Home Server:

You should not expect Microsoft to be shipping anything at this time which allows Windows Home Server to stream to a browser which doesn't support Silverlight. Windows 8 is a solid year (or more; net.pundits are speculating on a Q2/Q3 2012 release, and I expect that to slip at least once) away from release, and features may (probably will) change.

For now, if you want to stream to your device running Windows 8, turn off Metro. Once you've done that, you can use the Silverlight plug-in, Flash, etc. I expect Microsoft is collecting usage data which will tell them that people are doing that on Win8; it's an easy way to send a message. :) And please feel free to post a suggestion on Connect regarding an HTML5 app to support streaming.

Also, while I'm not privy to internal Microsoft decision making processes, I would guess that the decision to disable plug-ins for IE10/Metro is to improve battery life on low-powered devices, and deliver better performance. Given how deeply integrated IE10 is with the OS, it will also tend to reduce the incidence of system crashes and OS corruption, both of which are much harder to deal with on tablets and the like.

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:04 PM
  • I have (had) this problem with The My Home Server app too. When I tried to stream the music it just does not play. 

My home server is accessable on port 80 and 443 via whs.example.com. I found out that the stream file is not requested on whs.example.com but on example.com. As my firewall log says:

method="POST" statuscode="200" url="/MobileData/Media/RemoteMediaService.svc" server="whs.example.com"
    method="GET" statuscode="200" url="/MobileData/Media/Stream/stream.mp3" server="example.com"

The first line is a request for information, like the artist list. The second line is the stream file and as you can see the server differs.

Making example.com point to my home server as well solved the problem.

This is a really weird behavior and should be fixed. Is there any way we can reach the devs?

• Edited by rsklomp Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:21 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:39 PM
  • What file is the stream file?
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 4:16 AM
  • I changed my post a bit now it is more clear.. the stream file is /MobileData/Media/Stream/stream.mp3
    • Edited by rsklomp Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:22 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:22 AM
  • I have (had) this problem with The My Home Server app too. When I tried to stream the music it just does not play. 

My home server is accessable on port 80 and 443 via whs.example.com. I found out that the stream file is not requested on whs.example.com but on example.com. As my firewall log says:

method="POST" statuscode="200" url="/MobileData/Media/RemoteMediaService.svc" server="whs.example.com"
    method="GET" statuscode="200" url="/MobileData/Media/Stream/stream.mp3" server="example.com"

The first line is a request for information, like the artist list. The second line is the stream file and as you can see the server differs.

Making example.com point to my home server as well solved the problem.

This is a really weird behavior and should be fixed. Is there any way we can reach the devs?

Hello - When you said you made "example.com" point to your home server, do you own your own domain? I am using example.homeserver.com so I must need to move to my own domain.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:44 AM