Site is indexed but no search results for obvious terms RRS feed

• Question

• My site is www.rosevillepoolservice.com, it is up for 3 plus years; for search term - Roseville Pool Service - shows OK on Google, Yahoo and used to be OK on MSN. Since December does not show up at all in 100 or 1000 pages.

Nathan Buggia looked at my site and wrote to me that the site is designed pretty well for search engines and recommended quality back links, writing blogs, listings with local search directories, listings with my suppliers, yelp, .... . The usual stuff suggested throughout this forum.

So I checked and I am on yelp, all the local search engine directories, MSN, Yahoo, Google and other local directories.

How come the back links from those are not showing up as a back links in webmasters tools? Does it mean it does not count?

I checked with my supplier who has 2 web sites where I could be listed on, swimmingpool.com and atyourservicepool.com, but they want a $500/year to be listed there, no exceptions. Problem is that their web sites do not show up for my search terms anyway so the only value is back links to please MSN.

Will it guarantee that my site will show up? If not, how many $500/year deals I would have to make to achieve result?

I am considering writing blog site, but it would have to be different web site. Sure, I could post a lot of funny blogs from daily live of a pool guy - fending of aggressive dogs with brush on a pole (according to owners completely harmless), finding 1 foot frog happily doing laps in the pool, fishing out barbecues, glass tables, chairs from pools after a wind storm, my partner following pole straight to the pool when water temperature is 50deg, ...... . But if I would put it on my business web site and my customers would recognize themselves I could loose their business. SO it would have to be a different web site, from which I could link my business web site and that would buy me one link. So again, how many blog sites I would have to create?

Jeremiah wrote that the back links are the key and people do not believe him. Well I believe him, but the concept is wrong. I would understand loss of some rank positioning because of back links, but not difference of thousands of search pages.

One other question; I have a listing with www.rocklintoday.com. They created profile page for my business and they basically copied information for the profile from my sites 2 pages. Is it possible that my site is penalized because of that? Can that be verified?

Oh well, if I do not get answers to my questions, I guess I will rather concentrate on finding if the pool guy myth is really true :-) – that’s a subject for another blog site, I guess.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:31 AM

Answers

•  

It is possible that your pages are being deduped.   I would try and make some changes to the content within your site to ensure this isn't happening.   I see your backlinks and you definetly have a healthy mix.   How recently did you add the local listings?  Could be that it hasn't had a chance to be baked in....   It doesn't always happen overnight.   I also recommend being careful with purchased placement.   Paid links may not always have a positive effect.  

I can tell you, that you are on the right track.  Keep doing the right things.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 1:41 AM

All replies

• I apologize if I seem frustrated, but is anyone from Microsoft answering questions?

I posted 2 questions, one about sitemap and one about meaning of domain rank against page rank. Both of them seem like should not take a genius to answer. If even those did not get answered, how can I hope that these questions above will be ever answered?

Or is this forum just another bit bucket; for people to feel psychologically better just writing down their problems?

I do not think that Microsoft people care about or realize how they are affecting income of small businesses. Or are they trying to drive them to their pay per click ads? I knew how to get answers when i was in charge of NEC PC development and could pass around Redmond campus hundreds of thousands dollars worth of equipment and hire from WHQL people to work for NEC - with that, besides doing a good job, all NEC computers were certified promptly. Now I do not have such resources to get results - just another pool guy trying to make a living.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:03 AM
  •  

It is possible that your pages are being deduped.   I would try and make some changes to the content within your site to ensure this isn't happening.   I see your backlinks and you definetly have a healthy mix.   How recently did you add the local listings?  Could be that it hasn't had a chance to be baked in....   It doesn't always happen overnight.   I also recommend being careful with purchased placement.   Paid links may not always have a positive effect.  

I can tell you, that you are on the right track.  Keep doing the right things.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Success!!!!!!!!

Finally, today my site www.rosevillepoolservice.com is showing #1 in search for obvious terms.

I cannot tell for sure what did it; aparently there are many days, may be months delay from making changes and seeing result. I hope I did not make too many changes lately, which would effect it negatively later - like 301 site redirect from non-www to www, changing page names and 301 redirect from old pages to new pages in .htaccess,  ..... . Not sure if any helped or if any will hurt later. Will see what happens in time.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:43 PM