home server cant finish installtion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello i am new to the windows home server.  I installed it on a new pc recently. At the very end on the last boot it said
    storage drive cannot be configured window cannot finish install.  I still get the windows home server on the monitor but i think because i didnt get the storage thing installed that i cant find the server console. Am I right and if so how do I fix this. Also is this right? 20 sys vol and 54 gb other partition. I have a 80 gb drive.  Do i have to install active directory or something like nT server?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, February 9, 2009 9:31 PM installation question (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    if it is an SATA drive try the IDE (ATA/PATA) mode in the Bios.
    Could also be, that the disk is too small (some sources say 80 GB is the minimum).
    You can also try to clean the disk as described in this FAQ before the next installation attempt.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 7:34 PM

All replies

• tumbler53 said:

Hello i am new to the windows home server.  I installed it on a new pc recently. At the very end on the last boot it said
    storage drive cannot be configured window cannot finish install.  I still get the windows home server on the monitor but i think because i didnt get the storage thing installed that i cant find the server console. Am I right and if so how do I fix this.

I would try another fresh install (perhaps with a different hard drive).

tumbler53 said:

Also is this right? 20 sys vol and 54 gb other partition. I have a 80 gb drive.

Yep, that's normal.

tumbler53 said:

Do i have to install active directory or something like nT server?

No.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Well i put the disc in again rebooted and it got to the updates but now it wont create volume drive
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

At little more info would help, but it sounds as though you might not be supplying all the required drivers.
    Any drivers that might be required should be Server 2003 compatible if at all possible, otherwise try XP versions, also they must be installed twice - one during the graphical portion, then again using the 'F6' interrupt during the text mode portion.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Hi,
    if it is an SATA drive try the IDE (ATA/PATA) mode in the Bios.
    Could also be, that the disk is too small (some sources say 80 GB is the minimum).
    You can also try to clean the disk as described in this FAQ before the next installation attempt.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 7:34 PM