WHS Add-in RRS feed

• Question

• Is WHS intended to be able to host a fanily internet website? I surely hope it is and that it will handle WSS. I currently have a third-party hosting our family site where we family albums where all sides of our families can post there family pictures where we all can enjoy them almost immediately. Can I download WSS 3.0 and install it on WHS as I can with Windows Server 2003? Thanks for the insight. Jack
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:44 AM

Answers

• It's possible to install WSS 3.0 on WHS, but there are some caveats. You will not want to use a default installation, as that puts all of your content and data on the C: partition, which (in WHS) is small and will rapidly fill up. In addition, WHS has some web sites which it uses for various purposes (remote access, server discovery, client enrollment, etc.) A default installation of WSS will take over IIS and shut down some of those sites.

Microsoft has a document describing how to install WSS 3.0 on a SBS server. You should read that document carefully; while the specifics are not applicable to what you want to try, the general process is the same.

When you install WSS 3.0 and create the new WSS site per the document above, you will want to store all content in a location other than the C: drive. There are a couple of options; the best (in my opinion, at least) is to add a drive to WHS (it can be a smallish one) but don't add it to the storage pool. Then use that drive as the location for WSS content. Second best is to use a network share on WHS for the data storage, but I think there may be some problems with doing that (a number of people are suddenly reporting problems with file corruption for various applications when they store the data for them in WHS shares). Third best is to create a folder on the D: partition, outside anything that WHS uses, and put content there. Using the third option will reduce the amount of space you have available for copying files to WHS.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:23 PM

All replies

• I've haven't yet tried to install WSS 3.0 to my box, but there are a couple of add-ins that allow for photo sharing quite easily.

The Flickr addin works quite nicely - great if you have a Flickr account

The WebGuide addin is very nice and allows for an interactive photo album (along with Music and Video streaming)

The Whiist add-in also has a way to create ad-hoc photo albums.

I've heard some stories of people installing WSS 3.0 on WHS without problems.

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Thanks, I now have a great project this week-end.

Jack

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:30 AM
  • It's possible to install WSS 3.0 on WHS, but there are some caveats. You will not want to use a default installation, as that puts all of your content and data on the C: partition, which (in WHS) is small and will rapidly fill up. In addition, WHS has some web sites which it uses for various purposes (remote access, server discovery, client enrollment, etc.) A default installation of WSS will take over IIS and shut down some of those sites.

Microsoft has a document describing how to install WSS 3.0 on a SBS server. You should read that document carefully; while the specifics are not applicable to what you want to try, the general process is the same.

When you install WSS 3.0 and create the new WSS site per the document above, you will want to store all content in a location other than the C: drive. There are a couple of options; the best (in my opinion, at least) is to add a drive to WHS (it can be a smallish one) but don't add it to the storage pool. Then use that drive as the location for WSS content. Second best is to use a network share on WHS for the data storage, but I think there may be some problems with doing that (a number of people are suddenly reporting problems with file corruption for various applications when they store the data for them in WHS shares). Third best is to create a folder on the D: partition, outside anything that WHS uses, and put content there. Using the third option will reduce the amount of space you have available for copying files to WHS.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

Some great tips and definately helpful!

Jack

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:11 PM