Unknown Error - Are You Kidding Me? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've been using WHS 2011 to back up my computers for several years without any problems. In the last 2 - 3 months, backups that were once routine have been failing and the reasons are crazy. Take the following: What value is there in an explanation of a backup failure that says "unexplained error"? This computer has been backing up successfully for the past 2 years. Nothing has changed. There is only one hard drive in the system (and only one partition on the HD). Running chkdsk /f /r produced no errors or corrections needed on the drive. The OS is Win 7 Pro (not Win 8). Where do I start looking to correct this "problem"? HELP!!

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Edited by tyrone3a Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:59 PM Spelling Error
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• Did you run Chkdsk on the Client of Server or BOTH? Is the backup disk full?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Hi Ric,

I noticed that you have posted a similar question (or should be the same one question?) in this thread. As I replied in that thread, would you please let me confirm whether install Hotfix 2781272 on the WHS 2011 before this issue occurred? Meanwhile, please refer to this article to troubleshoot. And then please also check relevant log files if find relevant clues.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Hi! Phil,

Thanks for your interest. Ran chkdsk on client - no problems found. Did not run on server. Backup disk is not full.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Edited by tyrone3a Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:14 AM spelling error
    Friday, December 5, 2014 4:29 AM
  • Hi! Justin,

I have three (3) WHS servers running backups. One is WHS2008 and the other two are WHS2011. This post concerns the other WHS2011 server (ie, it is a different server than the one in the other post that you replied to). This backup is of a Vista 64 client (the other post concerned a Win7Pro client).

Hotfix is applied.

I have not had a chance to review the article you referenced, but I will. This server is in another room so it is not as easy to check on. But I will look over the log files and post anything I find for you to review.

Thanks for your interest.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Friday, December 5, 2014 4:36 AM
  • Hi! Justin,

I checked the article you referenced. It contained no useful info - items either did not apply or had already been performed. (I research google.com, Microsoft support and the WHS forums for answers to the problems I am having. I only post when there is nothing I can find on the problem I am experiencing. I read the referenced article early in my research. It contains general items, but I either already checked them or they were not applicable.)

I checked event logs and server logs, but did not find anything noted as an alert or error.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Edited by tyrone3a Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:16 AM clarification
    Friday, December 5, 2014 7:45 PM