Microsoft Home XP Activation Issues (Phone Issues) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have a copy of Microsoft XP which I purchased many years ago now. I Recently installed it onto my laptop, because I no longer own my desktop computer (I removed XP before getting rid of it).

My Problem is:
    1. It will no longer accept my activation code as valid. 
    2. The UK number 0800 018 8354 no longer works either.

So I can no longer get a replacement code, or activate windows by any means (I have even tried the website). Can anyone help me please, or perhaps give me another freephone number I can use to get a new activation key? 

Thanks.

Friday, August 21, 2009 10:33 AM

Answers

• Hello EJDSlayer,

Your solution is going to be one of these two suggestions:

1.  It sounds like you purchased a retail license for XP Home; that is what you are describing when you wrote, "The product key is on the back on a yellow sticker, the case is green, and the disk is gold with genuine written on it. (Not sure if any of that is of help?)"

However, the CD that came in this nice pretty retail box malfunctions when you try to use it to install.

Solution 1:  Contact Microsoft and ask them for a replacement for the defective XP Home CD that came in your retail box.  The MS KB with more info is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246  Once you receive the new CD, use that and the Product Key that came in the retail package to install XP onto the Dixon's PC World laptop.

Solution 2.  IF the Dixon's PC World laptop has a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows, contact Dixon's PC World and inquire if Recovery/Reinstallation CDs are available for order by you.  If so, order a set and use them to put back the original Genuine Windows that came with this laptop.

Solution 2a.  If the laptop has a CoA for Windows, but recovery CDs are not available, you can use a genuine hologrammed systembuilder/OEM Windows CD along with the Product Key on the laptop's CoA to install Windows.  If the Windows is Windows XP, then when it comes time to activate, do not try the automatic online activation--instead, you will want to do a Telephonic Activation.  ONLY a systembuilder/OEM CD will work; retail CDs will not work.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:26 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hello EJDSlayer,

If the computer is operational, please follow below:

We understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Next look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full  Product Key that may be printed on the CoA..

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the reply!

I tried running the first 2 websites, the first one will not allow me to use the activation key to activate it. In the second one it says the plugins are not correctly installed, so I followed the instructions, but this did not resolve that issue. So i'm not sure if i'm doing something incorrectly.

In response to the 3rd one I have run that program, when I pressed resolve it said failed as I have not yet validated. So here is the copy:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {F04E0691-D1DB-4070-A644-0F8CC2F800D1}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: Not Activated

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F04E0691-D1DB-4070-A644-0F8CC2F800D1}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HF2BQ</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-861567501-1214440339-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>DIXONSXP</Manufacturer><Model>DIXONSXP</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>DIXONSXP</Manufacturer><Version>1.10.DIX</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070112000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>E1C43BCF0184C05F</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1423A:Dixons Stores Group|B1B1:Fujitsu Siemens Computers|110F6:Semp Toshiba Informatica Ltda|B1B9:Siemens AG|110F6:TOSHIBA CORPORATION
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

My validation key is for windows home edition version 2002, so SP1 i presume. It does not appear to have either OEM Software or Product anywhere on the case. I purchased the software from PC world quite a few years ago, so it is not a copy from a shop or anything like that.

The product key is on the back on a yellow sticker, the case is green, and the disk is gold with genuine written on it. (Not sure if any of that is of help?)

If you need anything else feel free to contact me,

Thanks for your help once again.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Hello EJDSlayer,

The problem in your case is that you are attempting to use a Compaq Recovery CD to install Windows XP Home onto your Dixon's (PC World) computer.  The installation of XP Home on the computer at the moment was put there with a Compaq recovery CD.

The programming within the Compaq Recovery CD is looking for special coding on the motherboard, and upon seeing such coding the installation is designed to self-activate.  Microsoft calls this the System Lock Preinstall method of activation.  The "system lock" part of the name comes from the fact that this recovery CD is "locked" to Compaq motherboards, which are the only motherboards that will have the special coding that the Compaq recovery CD is looking for.  When this coding is not present, then the installation will not activate, which is what you are experiencing.

You wrote, "The product key is on the back on a yellow sticker, the case is green, and the disk is gold with genuine written on it. (Not sure if any of that is of help?)"  It sounds like you are describing a retail package for Windows XP Home.  Did you use the CD that came with this package to do the installation that is now on the computer?  Is the partial Product Key in the report above *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ the same Product Key that is on the yellow-orange label that came with your retail package?

Also, does the Dixon's PCWorld laptop have a Certificate of Authenticity on it?  If so, please provide details but do not post the Product Key.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hello EJDSlayer,

First off, try phone number 0870 2411963

Next, can you tell me if that XP came in a nice Retail Box?  If so, are you using the Disks that came in that box to install?

The reason I ask is that the XP Software, shown in your Diagnostic Report, is OEM, but the description of the box that your XP came in suggests Retail.

A Retail Product Key will not work in OEM Software (nor vise virsa) Please make sure you are using the software that came in the same package as Product Key you are using.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, August 21, 2009 4:50 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for replying again,
    I have a feeling that the problem may be I was sent a recovery disk which I thought would be the same as that of the original retail copy, but it obviously differs. I presumed although this is the case it would just be a simple solution as I have a legitimate key, and presumed all would work in the same way. Does this mean I can no longer use my key? As the CD that originally came with it can no longer be recognised (this is another problem I cannot solve). 

Although the CD has no visible scratches (the original one) it boots up at the start, but when i try to install it to a partition, it says please insert a disk. Although there is quite clearly a disk in there as it has booted from it. I had this problem with the disk in the past, hence why I obtained another copy of XP in hope to reuse my key. In the past, the original disk has caused this problem, but for some reason before it managed to boot from the disk randomly even though it had failed to do so a few trys before. Do you know of any reason the original disk would do this, and I can try to clean install XP with the original disk?

I have just reread what I have written, and it is fairly hard to follow! So a summary:

The original disk can no longer be read for some reason, even though it can boot from it, when it gets to the install it says it cannot find it.

I have another copy of XP which I used to install, but I presumed I could then use my CD key to activate it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Hello EJDSlayer,

Your solution is going to be one of these two suggestions:

1.  It sounds like you purchased a retail license for XP Home; that is what you are describing when you wrote, "The product key is on the back on a yellow sticker, the case is green, and the disk is gold with genuine written on it. (Not sure if any of that is of help?)"

However, the CD that came in this nice pretty retail box malfunctions when you try to use it to install.

Solution 1:  Contact Microsoft and ask them for a replacement for the defective XP Home CD that came in your retail box.  The MS KB with more info is http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246  Once you receive the new CD, use that and the Product Key that came in the retail package to install XP onto the Dixon's PC World laptop.

Solution 2.  IF the Dixon's PC World laptop has a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows, contact Dixon's PC World and inquire if Recovery/Reinstallation CDs are available for order by you.  If so, order a set and use them to put back the original Genuine Windows that came with this laptop.

Solution 2a.  If the laptop has a CoA for Windows, but recovery CDs are not available, you can use a genuine hologrammed systembuilder/OEM Windows CD along with the Product Key on the laptop's CoA to install Windows.  If the Windows is Windows XP, then when it comes time to activate, do not try the automatic online activation--instead, you will want to do a Telephonic Activation.  ONLY a systembuilder/OEM CD will work; retail CDs will not work.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:26 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for all the help,

Guess I will have to order a new disk then, which I have tried to avoid doing in the past. Ah well,

Thanks once again
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:15 PM