Installing Printer on HR EX475 RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, trying to install printer (Canon PIXMA ip4000) on my brand new EX475.  Not one of the standard printers supported, so I've tried placing the driver executable in the shared software folder, but when I try to double click within Remote Desktop Connection it it says the file cant be accessed?  Also tried just plugging in the USB and hoping it'll look for drivers so i can point it to the shared software folder.  But alas, that doesn't work either.  That about exhausts my ideas.  Either it's user error, or the USB ports on my Server aren't working.  Any ideas?  HELP!!!!
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:40 PM

Answers

• You can try to copy the installer to the Administrator's desktop and run it from there. You should make sure that you're only installing he printer driver itself, though. You don't want/need the rest of the manufacturer's software suite on your server.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:31 AM
  • One caveat - NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL AS YOU CAN REALLY SCREW UP YOUR WHS IF YOU MESS AROUND TOO MUCH DIRECTLY WITH THE WINDOWS 2003 UNDERBELLY, but here's how I did it:

1. Download XP driver from canon, and on your PC unzip the files.

2. Thorugh the WHS console, place this unzipped folder into a shared folder on WHS 

3. Use Remote Desktop Connection to log in directly to the server Windows Server 2003 (username Administrator, with your WHS console password).

4. double click the shared folders link on the windows 2003 desktop

5. drag the folder with driver files onto the windows 2003 desktop

6. execute the driver install Setup.exe

So that worked for me.  I bought a copy of "Windows Home Server for Dummies" to figure that out - and it gives good advice for what you CAN do directly in Windows 2003.  But more importantly it talks about what you SHOULD NOT do.  The WHS software manages files in a particular way, so to add or delete files go through the console / shared folders NEVER directly in server through Remote Desktop.  But it's apparently ok to copy the driver folder from the shared folder to the Administrator desktop.

Monday, June 9, 2008 6:45 PM

All replies

• You can try to copy the installer to the Administrator's desktop and run it from there. You should make sure that you're only installing he printer driver itself, though. You don't want/need the rest of the manufacturer's software suite on your server.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:31 AM
  • Sorry to jump in.....but I'm having the same problem with the ip4200.  I have a stupid question.....where's the "Administrator's desktop"?  How do I access it from the console?  Does this require an add-in?

Monday, June 9, 2008 4:51 PM
  • One caveat - NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL AS YOU CAN REALLY SCREW UP YOUR WHS IF YOU MESS AROUND TOO MUCH DIRECTLY WITH THE WINDOWS 2003 UNDERBELLY, but here's how I did it:

1. Download XP driver from canon, and on your PC unzip the files.

2. Thorugh the WHS console, place this unzipped folder into a shared folder on WHS 

3. Use Remote Desktop Connection to log in directly to the server Windows Server 2003 (username Administrator, with your WHS console password).

4. double click the shared folders link on the windows 2003 desktop

5. drag the folder with driver files onto the windows 2003 desktop

6. execute the driver install Setup.exe

So that worked for me.  I bought a copy of "Windows Home Server for Dummies" to figure that out - and it gives good advice for what you CAN do directly in Windows 2003.  But more importantly it talks about what you SHOULD NOT do.  The WHS software manages files in a particular way, so to add or delete files go through the console / shared folders NEVER directly in server through Remote Desktop.  But it's apparently ok to copy the driver folder from the shared folder to the Administrator desktop.

Monday, June 9, 2008 6:45 PM