Issue when creating a pdf from Word document word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to convert a Word 2007 document (docx) using the Acrobat PDF Maker Office Com Addin (9.0), Word crashes with the following message;

The program shuts down. When reopening Acrobat tab is gone and I have to reenable the Adobe Addin. Restart Word again for it to take effect. Now if I create a new doc with just a little stuff in it it works fine. If I try the 1st docx again it crashes again. I have two docx I created yesterday and they both crash.

Anyone have any ideas?

I thought maybe the 2 docx might be broken somehow and wondered if I could import to a new blank doc if it would bring everything over since copy and paste will not..?

Thank you for your help!

Chris Ward

• Moved by Forrest Guo Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:35 AM PDFMaker addin question (From:Word for Developers)
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• I have completed all the steps in your post. I have even recreated from scratch the same document. I have recreated it on different computers. I have through this verified the problem is not from the file itself since it can be reproduced from scratch. I have narrowed the elements down to what appears to be the issue.

The issue seems to be when using Tables having multiple rows as repeating and an image file in the header. here is a screenshot.

If I remove the image it will convert.

If I remove the Repeat Rows it will convert.

If I only use the image and a single row for rows repeating it will convert.

I have recreated this error using several .bmp files. I have recreated this error in new documents on three machines.

What else can I do? It converts fine to .xps just not .pdf.

I am leaning towards this being a problem with addin. Is it possible to convert an xps file to pdf?

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by KCDW Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:33 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:46 PM

All replies

• oKay, I'm leaning towards this being a bug in Word 2007. I just copied parts over to new docx file piece by piece with no erros until I reached one part. I can repeat this error in new documents. these are the steps to reproduce the problem.

1. Create New Docx
    2. Save
    3. Add Table (I used 5x5)
    4. Add information as needed to cause the table to grow over multiple pages
    5. In the top right cell split the cell to have 1 column and two rows
    6. Set the 1st row (including both the split cells) as headers to repeat on each page
    7. save changes
    8. create pdf
    9. error occurs

Maybe repeatable bug.

has this been reported before?

Only other thing I nothice is the width of cells in the original document are blank.

Chris Ward

• Edited by KCDW Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:45 PM add comment
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:15 PM
  • The test steps above did not work to reproduce the problem.

I noticed in the original document, if I delete the first Row, then it will convert to .pdf format.

I recreate the 1st row and it still seems to work. I guess it was just something in the original first row that wasn't right however I am noticing that the format in adobe does not match that in Word.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Apparently, The issue is a combination of having a real header and having multiple rows of the table repeating at the top of each page where the columns and rows are not equal accross area. But which feature is causing the error I did not determine. No single feature caused the error but when all together boom.

1 picture in the real header

3 header rows repeating

1st row with three columns last cell split to two rows; left, centered & right formatted respectively

2nd row two columns with text auto wrapping to two lines in both cells; left & right formatted respectively

3rd row four columns unevenly spaced formatted; Left, Left, Right, Left

No columns in any rows fall directly in line with the other rows

All Fonts Ariel, 9.5 to 22 helf bold half not.

4th row not part of repeating rows centered 1 word

5th row where all the minutes are typed wraps over three pages.

10 more rows nothing special.

I have recreated the error 25 times with this setup. But I can't descern where the problem kicks in.

Chris Ward

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I will involve some experts who are familiar with your issue, this may take some time. Much appreciate for your patience and understanding.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Leo_Gao Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:59 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Chris,

The issue appears to be cross-boundary. Acrobat PDFMaker has documented how to trouble-shoot the document-specific issue which you can refer to: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/troubleshoot-acrobat-pdfmaker-problems-office.html#main_Troubleshoot_document_specific_issues

PDFMaker issues are also discussed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/creating__editing_%26_exporting_pdfs

**Troubleshoot document-specific issues

If you determine that the problem is document-specific, troubleshoot as follows.

Enable only the Acrobat PDFMaker features the document uses

For example, if the document contains only the heading styles Heading 1 and Heading 2, disable the other heading styles in the Acrobat PDFMaker dialog box.

Switch to the Normal document view in Word, and then create the PDF file using Acrobat PDFMaker

Re-create the Word document to eliminate any damage

Do one or more of the following:

• Copy and paste the content of the Word document into a new document, and then create the PDF file.
    • Select all of the text in the document, change its font, and then save the document with a new name. Word rewrites the document, which can eliminate elements that conflict with Acrobat PDFMaker. After you save the document, you can reformat it in the desired font.
    • If the document was created in a version of Word other than the one you use to create the PDF file, make a small change to the document. Then save it with a new name. This procedure forces Word to rewrite the document, possibly eliminating any elements that conflict with Acrobat PDFMaker.

Re-create any custom heading styles in the document, and then create the PDF file

Identify conflicting elements in the document

1. Create a Word document.
    2. Copy half of the original Word document into the new Word document.
    3. Convert the new Word document to PDF using Acrobat PDFMaker
    • If the problem recurs, a conflicting element exists in the new Word document. To further isolate the conflicting element, repeat steps 1-3, and copy half of the second Word document into another new Word document.
    • If the problem does not occur, a conflicting element exists in the original Word document. To further isolate the problem, repeat steps 1-3, and copy the other half of the original Word document into another new Word document. If both halves of the document convert correctly, close other programs that are running, including the Office application. Delete .tmp files (often located in the Windows/Temp folder).

Reinstall programs

Remove both Acrobat and Office or the specific Office application (Word, PowerPoint, or Excel). Reinstall Office or the specific Office application, and then reinstall Acrobat.

To remove Acrobat, use the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. For instructions on how to remove Office, see the Office documentation or contact Microsoft.

If the Word document is protected, remove the protection

For instructions on how to remove the protection, see the Word documentation or contact Microsoft.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:33 AM
  • I have completed all the steps in your post. I have even recreated from scratch the same document. I have recreated it on different computers. I have through this verified the problem is not from the file itself since it can be reproduced from scratch. I have narrowed the elements down to what appears to be the issue.

The issue seems to be when using Tables having multiple rows as repeating and an image file in the header. here is a screenshot.

If I remove the image it will convert.

If I remove the Repeat Rows it will convert.

If I only use the image and a single row for rows repeating it will convert.

I have recreated this error using several .bmp files. I have recreated this error in new documents on three machines.

What else can I do? It converts fine to .xps just not .pdf.

I am leaning towards this being a problem with addin. Is it possible to convert an xps file to pdf?

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by KCDW Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:33 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:46 PM
  • I agree with you. There's a problem in the addin and the information you get is very important.  I suggest you report the issue to Adobe on their forum. On the other hand, Word 2013 is able to convert a document to PDF natually.  You can download the customer preview.  The ClickToRun edition can run side by side with other Office:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en

Office Deployment Tool for Click-To-Run: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30344

Enjoy it.

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, August 10, 2012 1:51 AM