network driver RRS feed

• Question

• A network device driver not found. Received during installation of whs 2011

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:19 AM

Answers

• Before installing, you will need to locate the appropriate driver for your network card. Ideally you will have one for WHS2011 or Windows Server 2008 R2 but failing that W7 drivers will probably be OK. You need to point the installation to the location of this driver (e.g. USB stick)  during the install - make sure that it is unpacked first.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:15 PM
  • You'll have to unpack the .exe file before the drivers will be visible to Windows during an installation. The driver .exe is probably a self-extracting archive file of some kind. 

There is no built-in way in Windows to do this. The least obnoxious 3rd party tool is probably the free version of 7-Zip, which you can install temporarily to unpack this file and move the contents onto a USB stick.

Once unpacked onto a USB stick, these drivers should be visible to WHS at installation time, assuming your motherboard can handle USB (almost all do now).

Good luck.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:36 PM
  • As I said above, you need to extract the files from the .exe. An alternative to Gary's suggestion is to try running it on another computer, letting it extract to a temporary folder and then stop the installation. The files can then be copied to your USB stick.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Success! Don't know why but this is what happened. Tried install of my older version (whs v1) which failed. Tried install of new version(2011) - this time device manager indicated that network adpter driver was missing.

Pointed at the usb stick and network driver loaded. Started install again and voila! installation is well under way. Thanks for your input guys made me try some different things. Now it is a fun day. 

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:14 PM

All replies

• Before installing, you will need to locate the appropriate driver for your network card. Ideally you will have one for WHS2011 or Windows Server 2008 R2 but failing that W7 drivers will probably be OK. You need to point the installation to the location of this driver (e.g. USB stick)  during the install - make sure that it is unpacked first.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Locating the appropriate driver has turned into a real problem. The device manager says there are no drivers for the pci simple communications controller and the sm bus controller.Downloaded Realtek pcie gbe family controller - no help .Put Win7 home premium disc in cd but that didn't do the trick. Downloaded sata ahci driver - no help. When the whs 2011 installation says "A network device driver was not found" does that relate to the pci controller and sm bus controller? No help found at the motherboard site (Pegatron Corp). Other computers on the LAN are working. Will check with the network router (U-verse) - maybe they have a clue.

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Downloaded Realtek pcie gbe family controller - no help .

dickdham

What happened? Which version for which OS? Did you extract the files first or just try to use an .exe file?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Put the unzipped PCIe driverfile (sp54416.exe)  for whs on flashdrive but computer was not happy. ATT U-verse wanted to charge me so I dropped that route. Will have a cup of coffee and think about it some more. 

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:07 PM
  • You'll have to unpack the .exe file before the drivers will be visible to Windows during an installation. The driver .exe is probably a self-extracting archive file of some kind. 

There is no built-in way in Windows to do this. The least obnoxious 3rd party tool is probably the free version of 7-Zip, which you can install temporarily to unpack this file and move the contents onto a USB stick.

Once unpacked onto a USB stick, these drivers should be visible to WHS at installation time, assuming your motherboard can handle USB (almost all do now).

Good luck.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:36 PM
  • As I said above, you need to extract the files from the .exe. An alternative to Gary's suggestion is to try running it on another computer, letting it extract to a temporary folder and then stop the installation. The files can then be copied to your USB stick.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I did unpack them before going to the usb stick, but no joy. When I used chose the setup menu and selected boot I got another error - 3F0. Trying to find out what that means now. Fun day.

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Success! Don't know why but this is what happened. Tried install of my older version (whs v1) which failed. Tried install of new version(2011) - this time device manager indicated that network adpter driver was missing.

Pointed at the usb stick and network driver loaded. Started install again and voila! installation is well under way. Thanks for your input guys made me try some different things. Now it is a fun day. 

dickdham

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:14 PM
  • Good - suggest you vote up a few of the suggestions that helped you on your way.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:51 PM