Live Mesh installs but won't start RRS feed

• Question

• I recently was invited to test out Live Mesh, which I think is a great product!  Anyway, when I logged into Live Mesh, I downloaded the software to my computer.  Then, I installed it on my two computers, and it worked fine.  Then I reformatted my computer and installed the 64-bit software.  That is where everything went terribly wrong.  It installed fine but the program will not start.  So then I reformatted again and had the same problem.  I then tried it again with 32-bit Vista, but it still had the same problem.  So then I reformatted my laptop, and it started having the same problem.  So, I was wondering what to do and how to fix this problem?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Tech Pro,

There is a thread here where a number of other people are reporting what seems to be a similar problem.  There also appears to be more than one cause.  If you could submit your logs to the team, we would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:32 PM

All replies

• Tech Pro said:

I recently was invited to test out Live Mesh, which I think is a great product!  Anyway, when I logged into Live Mesh, I downloaded the software to my computer.  Then, I installed it on my two computers, and it worked fine.  Then I reformatted my computer and installed the 64-bit software.  That is where everything went terribly wrong.  It installed fine but the program will not start.  So then I reformatted again and had the same problem.  I then tried it again with 32-bit Vista, but it still had the same problem.  So then I reformatted my laptop, and it started having the same problem.  So, I was wondering what to do and how to fix this problem?

Just out of curiosity, are you keeping the same machine name between reformats?

Can you be more specific about it's behavior when it "will not start"?  What steps does it go through successfully?
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Hi Tech Pro,

I think the first step here would be for the team to get a look at your logs.  If you wouldn't mind submitting a bug report and attaching your logs, we can look into this to see what's going on.  The instructions for submitting a bug with logs are below.

Thanks,

Ben.

---------------------------------------------

To submit a bug with your logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:42 PM
  • I have an update.  I reformatted my laptop and my desktop again both with 64 bit Vista.  This time Live Mesh worked on my laptop but not on my desktop.  It did the same thing as last time.  What happens is that it installs, but the program just keeps saying "Starting Live Mesh".  Then after 2 minutes, it says, "An error has occured."  Then it says, "Click here to restart the program (or something along those lines)."  When I click restart the program, it says, "Starting Live Mesh."  And then, it fails, and asks me to do this again.  So, I was wondering if anyone is having this same problem, and if they know how to fix it?  Also, if I submitted a bug report what personal data is also submitted along with the bug?        

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:38 AM
  • Bleak Morn said:

Tech Pro said:

I recently was invited to test out Live Mesh, which I think is a great product!  Anyway, when I logged into Live Mesh, I downloaded the software to my computer.  Then, I installed it on my two computers, and it worked fine.  Then I reformatted my computer and installed the 64-bit software.  That is where everything went terribly wrong.  It installed fine but the program will not start.  So then I reformatted again and had the same problem.  I then tried it again with 32-bit Vista, but it still had the same problem.  So then I reformatted my laptop, and it started having the same problem.  So, I was wondering what to do and how to fix this problem?

Just out of curiosity, are you keeping the same machine name between reformats?

Can you be more specific about it's behavior when it "will not start"?  What steps does it go through successfully?
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer

I am keeping the same machine name.  It installs but fails to bring up the sign in window.   
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Hi Tech Pro,

There is a thread here where a number of other people are reporting what seems to be a similar problem.  There also appears to be more than one cause.  If you could submit your logs to the team, we would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:32 PM