Restructuring AD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I would like to know if it is possible to move the SecurityGroups that CRM has created duing the installation of the deployment?
    We are planning to restructure our AD and therefore we need to move the groups to another OU. Is there a config setting or reg value we need to modify or will it just work without any changes?

Thanks!

//Casper
    Monday, February 8, 2010 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Caspter/Jimmy,

I believe this has now changed.  We have moved a couple crm installations where we moved the OU location fo these groups.  As long as the actual name of the groups do not change, you can now move them to a different OU.  Nothign else had to be done besides actualy moving the group location in AD.  A couple items to keep in mind.

--Do not rename the groups
    --Make sure that the new OU is NOT locked down with less security permissions
    --We have moved these groups wiht crm update rollup 6 and higher.  Not sure if it works wiht a previous update rollup.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Morales Monday, February 8, 2010 5:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Casper Jensen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:40 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Casper,

AFAIK the CRM security groups, can't be moved so easily. This is because CRM keeps internally the LDAP path of those Groups.
    IMHO, I would mantain the actual CRM OU intact, unless you need restructure Your AD imperatively. Move CRM involves a lot of work, but if you still need it one way to do is :

- Create the new OU for your CRM
    - Full Back Up the CRM DB's
    - Uninstall CRM and his entires components
    - Delete your CRM DB's (ORG_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG) from your SQL Server
    - Restore the last FULL Backup of yORG_MSCRM DB
    - Install CRM pointing to new OU
    - Install all CRM components you need
    - Restore the last FULL Backup of yORG_MSCRM DB
    - Import the organization with CRM Deployment Mgr, Mapping all CRM users.

Take a Look at the implementation guide if you need more details about the import process...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1CEB5E01-DE9F-48C0-8CE2-51633EBF4714&displaylang=en

Regards

Monday, February 8, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Hi Caspter/Jimmy,

I believe this has now changed.  We have moved a couple crm installations where we moved the OU location fo these groups.  As long as the actual name of the groups do not change, you can now move them to a different OU.  Nothign else had to be done besides actualy moving the group location in AD.  A couple items to keep in mind.

--Do not rename the groups
    --Make sure that the new OU is NOT locked down with less security permissions
    --We have moved these groups wiht crm update rollup 6 and higher.  Not sure if it works wiht a previous update rollup.
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Morales Monday, February 8, 2010 5:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Casper Jensen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:40 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I agree with Alex,

You will need to put the path where OU groups should be created. Later system is asking for groups ID not path+groupID so unless you will not change name and privilidges will be the same it will be working.

I moved OU when we had applied UR3 and it was working.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Monday, February 8, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi Guys,

thanks for the tip, every day I learn something new in this forums :P , I'll make the try, just a question
    there are no modifications to do in the CRM DB's after the change?

Regards
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Nope...as long as group name stays the same.

Monday, February 8, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Thanks all of you. It works!

//Casper
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:40 AM